Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,220

0 members and 3,220 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BPnet Senior Member Mephibosheth1's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: this mama is about to pop, yo

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyShuttle View Post
    So how do you go about finding or making good mamas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got lucky. My friend (who is currently getting his MD and Ph.D in Human Medicine and Biomechanical Engineering) was coming back from an internship working for the National Institutes of Environmental Health and Safety in North Carolina when he thought to himself: "California needs a diverse strain of mice". So, he purchased mice from a number of states on his trip back, and bred them over the course of 6 months to select away the bad mice. Every successive generation, the bad specimens were removed at the first sign of cannibalism, leaving the friendly, healthy mice to breed. When I purchased the colony from him, I got a whole colony of friendly mice.
    CRYSTAL MEPH

1.0 100% Het for Carmel Normal–Mycroft (P. regius)
    1.2 Manx, Scottish Fold, Tabby–Mocha, Precious, Kitty-Beau (F. domesticus)
    30.90 Breeder Mice (M. musculus)

"It will all be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end"
    –John Lennon//oo\\

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mephibosheth1 For This Useful Post:

MonkeyShuttle (03-14-2014)

Thanks
    You must have godlike patience to be a pro mouse breeder for shows and stuff.
    www.CaliforniaRatBreeders.org - California Rat Breeders (CRBA) is now taking donations for our initial launch to the web off of facebook.
    -Keep in mind that I'm a rodent enthusiast who breeds pet rats, I am not a subject matter expert or a veterinarian but will do what I can to help with your rats-

Thanks

Sometimes.

But I don't think it's anything like the patience you guys have for waiting -years- breeding snakes, to reach one goal. Mice at least breed fast enough that I can reach my goals in like 6 months (at least on a basic genetic basis). Body type might take years to improve though.

Thanks
    rash, i dont breed snakes. I strictly breed rats as pets. I just like this forum a lot better than touchy afrma people.
    www.CaliforniaRatBreeders.org - California Rat Breeders (CRBA) is now taking donations for our initial launch to the web off of facebook.
    -Keep in mind that I'm a rodent enthusiast who breeds pet rats, I am not a subject matter expert or a veterinarian but will do what I can to help with your rats-

Thanks
    The funny thing is, AFRMA people aren't that touchy. The west coast is way more chill about mice and rats (rat people are always a bit touchy though) the east coast is really what's given rat breeders and mouse breeders a bad name.
    Last edited by PitOnTheProwl; 03-01-2014 at 04:36 PM. Reason: language

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

I agree, afrma isn't that bad. They keep an open mind. Some of the afrma board also not only support, but encourage culling (contrary to what much of the rest of the hobby believes). Afrma doesn't take a stance one way or the other when it comes to snakes (individuals might, but not the organization as a whole).I haven't been involved in shows for a very long time, but I did used to show with afrma.
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

Thanks
    I more meant the kind of people attracted to rat shows and such, not afrma as an actual specific organization

Thanks
    I also made the mistake of going on tumbler for rats...

..I am now scared of rat enthusiasts.
    Last edited by iamratpimp; 03-02-2014 at 03:59 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234