Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,213

1 members and 3,212 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Desperation...

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Desperation...

I've seen complaint after complaint about people getting insultingly low offers on the animals they have for sale. Here's a tip: if you have verbiage in your ad that indicates you are forced to sell, you will be a target for low-ballers.

Examples:
    "Need to make room in the rack..." - Either get another rack, or drop the price slightly to move the "overstock", and re-evaluate your breeding plans if what you're producing isn't moving.
    "Wife/Husband/Mom/Dad doesn't like..." - This should have been discussed before you brought the animal(s) home. Yes, I've seen that ad. Heck, that's how I ended up with two free BCI's.
    "Girlfriend/Boyfriend doesn't like..." - Really??? You're going to get hit hard on this one since you have two people working against you, or you turn the BF/GF into an ex. Choose wisely.
    "Moving, must sell..." - lowballers will know that the longer they wait, the more your price will have to drop because you have a deadline to meet.
    "Car died...", "Rent due...", "Overdue bills to cover...", "Life/Health issues..." - lowballers know that you need cash immediately. The fast money is the low money, just ask any pawnbroker.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

OctagonGecko729 (02-18-2014)

Thanks
    Heres another tip, your animals arent worth what you as the breeder think they are worth, they are worth what the customer is willing to pay . If you don't like what people offer you, simply hold out for another offer. It really does annoy me how much certain BP breeders whine about price drops and "low-balling". This isnt a get rich quick industry, this is a work your ass off and you "might" be able to use it as a primary source of income industry.
    5.5.13 C. Ciliatus - Specialize in Super Dals
    0.0.1 V. Exanthematicus (Skorge)
    4.4 U. Lineatus
    1.2 N. Amyae
    1.2.2 N. levis levis
    1.0 U. Pietschmanni (Pietsch)
    5.2.2 U. Fimbriatus

Lots of BPs focusing on Clown stuff in 2014.

1.0 P. Reticulatus 50% Dwarf Purple Albino het Gen Stripe

Chris from The Lizard Horde
    www.thelizardhorde.com
    Our Iherp Reptile Collection
    https://www.facebook.com/TheLizardHorde

4. The Following User Says Thank You to OctagonGecko729 For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (02-18-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    How many people claim hard times just to attract customers? In some cases I think the seller is just claiming hardship to justify lower than market prices. I'm thinking those are not the people complaining about lowballers. Rather, those are the people creating lowballers who know, not think, that they can get cheaper animals by lowballing, watching auctions, finding new sellers who are eager to get rid of babies they didn't intend to feed for long terms, etc. Those sellers who find nonsense reasons to drop prices are the people that should be complained about, not the lowballers themselves. Lowballers are just a byproduct of people who don't know business irresponsibly buying and breeding animals.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets