Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,591

0 members and 2,591 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99

Thread: Shedding

Thanks
    My bp still has at elast half of her shed on and its not coming off itself. She went into shed over a week ago and has left alot of it on her. What do I do. She has only been with me for a couple of weeks and is from Petco, so you know that there is a lot of stress. She still eats just fine. Actually she is very aggressive when it comes to eating. But this shed what do I do. I want to get her out and handle her more but I really can't with the shed still there. Her humidity is around 50% with a few mists a day to get it up. But my other bp does fine with this and sheds in one piece. I always increase the humidity to around 80% when in shed by placing wet towels on top of the tank and spray down very well. One idea I got was to put her in a wet pilow case and let her crawl around in there and it would rub off. Any other ideas?

Thanks
    A damp, rough towel in your hands with her crawling through it is the best way for me (YMMV).
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries
    you could soak her for a while in warm water and then do the towel thing too.
    - Emily

Thanks
    9 times out of 10 the first shed reflects the husbandry before you got the bp. I've had success with both suggestions. Good luck and let us know how it turns out
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

Thanks
    Ahhhh... i'm worried. It's normal for Pandora's eyes to go from super cloudy back to not AS cloudy, right?? does that mean she'll shed soon? i'm way too impatient... she got cloudy eyes and a pink belly on Monday. when is it gona happen!??!?!?!?! but she's eaten twice with cloudy eyes. both times she was like RIGHT next to the mouse before she actually noticed it was there.

but... why are her eyes not as cloudy?
    1.1 bps- Apollo & Pandora ♥

Thanks
    Angela .. Marla had a great quickie shed explanation in another thread that should answer your question

Quote Originally Posted by Marla
    OK, quickie shed explanation. When a snake is about to shed, the old skin starts to separate and it builds up a thin layer of fluid between the old layer and the new. When the fluid layer between the old and new at the eyes is complete, the eyes are no longer cloudy. When the layer is complete throughout, it can shed. When you find a fresh shed, you'll notice it's damp. Your snake apparently was in the water dish while or just after shedding. This fluid layer is why humidity is so important for ball pythons. Some snakes don't need as much fluid as others to complete their sheds (kings vs. balls, for example) and so don't require as much humidity.

Make sense?
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

Thanks
    haha see im a retard.... she sent that explanation to me, and i obviously didnt read it the right way or something. sometimes i wonder how i managed to pass 11th grade...
    1.1 bps- Apollo & Pandora ♥