Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,113

0 members and 3,113 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Using "taller" tubs.. Benefits / heating issues?

Hello again guys,

I'm getting everything setup for the juvie BCA or BCI I will be getting soon (considering a 2012, apx. 3' male but haven't confirmed yet). I know that juvies can be housed in tubs (32qt. etc.) but was considering a larger setup for my guy until I can get him in a cage. The largest tubs I've found are 116 and 110qt and have the following measurements: 116qt- 33 x 20 x 13.5, 110qt-34 x 18 x 12.6, A 32qt is: 25 x 16 x 6.5, and a 41qt is 29 x 18 x 6

I'm leaning towards the 41qt or the 110qt because I like the idea of giving the boa more "floor" space, but am unsure if he would use the vertical space and if that would cause me heating issues. I was planning on using a UTH and keeping the setup near my other tanks so that it will be a little warmer than standard room temp... I know this would work for a shorter tub (41qt) but would it work for a taller one?

If you have any thoughts on heating issues or whether or not he'd use the climbing space, please let me know. I have zero experience, so have no clue how active he'd be.

Thanks!

Thanks
    The 116qt has the most floor space, and the snake could stay in it longer. He may also use the vertical space, I haven't caught mine using his much but it's 2ft tall.

What are your room temps? You don't want to put a new snake near your other reptiles for heat, that defeats the purpose of quarantine.
    Tommy

Thanks
    True.. Room temps in winter are usually low 70's to mid 60's, in summer much warmer (high 70's - low 80's depending on how hot I can take it). The other enclosures average 72 on their cool sides right now (that's with a UTH and ceramic heat bulb on the warm end).

I'm not sure if I could use a RHP or heat lamp / heat emitter on the tub due to it being plastic... My other heat lamps are on dimmer switches, so don't take up channels in my thermostat... If a similar setup would work for an RHP and it could be hooked up to a dimmer / put inside the tub, that might be an option for me.
    Last edited by artgecko; 02-12-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Thanks
    An rhp may get too warm, mine heats through 3/4" oak and keeps the enclosure above it in the mid to upper 80's.

I have a tub I use for my new snakes as a qt tub while I work on building their enclosures, its short about 6" tall with substrate, my boa was in this but he was still small maybe 2ft. I use a heat mat for hot spot and 75w red heat lamp on a lamp stand and on a dimmer above the tub for ambient temps, I also keep the room @75f. My blood is in this setup now and it works great.
    Tommy

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    I know arboreal keepers who use RHPs in large tubs like that with no issue.
    A boa will utilize the spaces you give it.
    If you can, try heating up the ambient temps to keep things warm. That will help a lot more and able you to use the extra space of a large tub without worrying that it is too cold.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

tlich (02-12-2014)

Thanks
    Thanks again for the input.
    I think I will go ahead and get the bigger tub.. As you said, he can stay in it longer without being cramped and he'll more-than-likely use the space. At least he'll have the option to climb (I intend to put some wood in the setup for climbing).

Tlich- Is the lamp you use on the "cool" end of the tub and is it over a wire mesh insert, or just the normal tub top? I think using a lamp on a dimmer would work for me, but I"ll have to find one with a stand.

Satomi- Do you think using a RHP would be more advisable than a lamp? I can't raise the ambient room temp because I'm on central heat / air which would mean heating my whole apartment (and I can't stand being hot)... I'll have to go with a localized heat source of some kind.

Thanks again guys for your advice! I plan on buying the tub this weekend and have already ordered the UTH and hides.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Re: Using "taller" tubs.. Benefits / heating issues?

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post

Satomi- Do you think using a RHP would be more advisable than a lamp? I can't raise the ambient room temp because I'm on central heat / air which would mean heating my whole apartment (and I can't stand being hot)... I'll have to go with a localized heat source of some kind.
    I personally think a RHP is better since it doesn't dry out the air like a heat lamp.
    However, it's not wrong to use a lamp. You just have to work a little harder at maintaining humidity.

PM gardenfiend138. He's has RHP in tubs.
    Last edited by satomi325; 02-12-2014 at 06:24 PM.

Thanks
    what about a small desk/space heater to heat up the area near the tub?
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks
    I use it centered over the normal plastic tub top. It's actually on a clamp on the window sill above the tub right now, the bulb is nearly 2ft from the top and about half power giving me 83-84f ambient/cool side temps. I'm not really using the uth much my blood likes the cooler temps (he's almost never on the warm side and moves the hide off of the uth).

The stand is just extra it doesn't come with a dimmer: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

For such a tall tub you will probably need the heat source closer to the top of the tub. The lamp stand is adjustable which makes it nice.
    Tommy

Thanks
    I also like the idea of using a rhp, you could use it in the tub and then the enclosure later if it was big enough.

I don't have humidity issues with mine, I'm heating through the tub lid so the air inside shouldn't dry out from the lamp.
    Tommy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast