Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,680

3 members and 2,677 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Haha, Rhasputin beat me to it, but I 100% concur with everything he said. In my experience it is not a issue at all with ASFs.
    5.5.13 C. Ciliatus - Specialize in Super Dals
    0.0.1 V. Exanthematicus (Skorge)
    4.4 U. Lineatus
    1.2 N. Amyae
    1.2.2 N. levis levis
    1.0 U. Pietschmanni (Pietsch)
    5.2.2 U. Fimbriatus

Lots of BPs focusing on Clown stuff in 2014.

1.0 P. Reticulatus 50% Dwarf Purple Albino het Gen Stripe

Chris from The Lizard Horde
    www.thelizardhorde.com
    Our Iherp Reptile Collection
    https://www.facebook.com/TheLizardHorde

2. The Following User Says Thank You to OctagonGecko729 For This Useful Post:

Rhasputin (03-21-2014)

Thanks

Re: 2 litters in one tub bad idea?

I separated them and they've done fine i had three females pop a week after each other but decided to keep them in one pile and one momma decided it wasnt her job to feed her babies and actually where growing at a slower rat then the other two litters and i mean waayyyy slower. They started looking like dwarf asf's. separated them and each mom did well. I was worried about the social thing too but there doing well. I did come home to one female last weekend though after two days who was dead with blood around her vagina. Rhas any idea?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyShuttle View Post
    I separated them and they've done fine i had three females pop a week after each other but decided to keep them in one pile and one momma decided it wasnt her job to feed her babies and actually where growing at a slower rat then the other two litters and i mean waayyyy slower. They started looking like dwarf asf's. separated them and each mom did well. I was worried about the social thing too but there doing well. I did come home to one female last weekend though after two days who was dead with blood around her vagina. Rhas any idea?
    Did she have a litter? Or no?

Thanks

She was on her second litter which was as of the weekend when she died 3 weeks old. I will pm you pics bro

Thanks

Her litters were back to back and she was around 5-6 months old, diet is Mazuri 6f and sometimes bread and seeds or cheerios.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OctagonGecko729 View Post
    We do ASFs in 1.3 groups and dont have many loses of pinks, aside from stillborns. The mothers will seperate the larger young usually and they take turns nursing. You do have to be wary though to wean them off at the appropriate age. The offspring of the mother needs to be weaned out before she drops another litter. Having two litters in the same cage from a single mother is too much and messes up the balance of females to offspring.
    weaning is at about 3 weeks? and then i move them to their own tub. the question I have about that is what do you do when the females in the juvi tub start getting pregnant? do you move them over to old tub or just keep making new juvi tubs?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to grrmisfit For This Useful Post:

meganmarkita15 (09-10-2016)

Thanks
    I don't wean mine until they're 2-3 months old. They never breed for me that early anyways, lol.

Thanks
    I set up colonies and leave them that way for the duration of their breeding lives. I commonly have pinks, fuzzies and hoppers in the same tub and they all end up in one big pile. I may lose a few weaker runts because of this, but there's no real noticeable loss and the occasional one that I do lose very likely wouldn't have made it even with just it's own siblings to contend with for food.

Thanks
    well the other one did drop 8 2 days later.. some were looking kinda runtish so i tried moving them to separate bowls.. they diddnt like this idea so they moved them back lol. when should i move the babies to their own tub? And should i keep males from females? I'm all kinda new to this not sure how on i keep them sorted. Or do i just keep all the kids away from the breeding pair and let what happens happens to the new females?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grrmisfit View Post
    weaning is at about 3 weeks? and then i move them to their own tub. the question I have about that is what do you do when the females in the juvi tub start getting pregnant? do you move them over to old tub or just keep making new juvi tubs?
    Here is my process. I have all of the morphs that are available. I currently run two 1.3 groups. I set up the adult breeders so I always have an idea of who the babies belong to in the bin. So an example would be: Amber "pied" male, amber "pied female", "pied" female, and agouti female. If you read up on the morphs and watch your tubs this makes it much easier to keep track of lineage.

So, for your question. I wean them off their mothers at 21-25 days to allow the newborn pinks free access to their mothers. The weaned rats get separated by sex into a large bin which houses either males or females.

When I'm looking to start up a new breeding group I pay a lot more attention to the animals to figure out temperament and health. Then I try to find the desired temperament and health in the morphs that would allow me to setup the new breeders like I stated above. There are many different combos of morphs you can use in the adults to identify lineage by the morph of offspring. Once I have found my desired breeder group I put them together rather young. It usually helps cut down on fighting and if the male is larger then the females he usually gets picked on less.

We have had a lot of issues with our original group around aggression, cannabilism, culling for no apparent reason, and (really disturbing) our original females began chewing off the right ears of their offspring. The last one developed late and was really disturbing because they seemed to have a methodology of abusing the young. It wasn't long after that until they culled several fully grown hoppers. I was already in the process of shutting down the group so that was the last straw for me and I fed off the females.

The original groups offspring was selected and paired up as half siblings. We took a lot of time out to pet them while they were young. So far it has worked out very well. They are on litter 4 now and I have only seen them cannabalize one pink which probably died on its own anyway. The aggression is completely gone, we can fool around with their pinks and fuzzies without them attacking us. They can be handled as well.

So the plan is to just keep up what we are doing and hopefully progress forward on temperament and birth counts.
    5.5.13 C. Ciliatus - Specialize in Super Dals
    0.0.1 V. Exanthematicus (Skorge)
    4.4 U. Lineatus
    1.2 N. Amyae
    1.2.2 N. levis levis
    1.0 U. Pietschmanni (Pietsch)
    5.2.2 U. Fimbriatus

Lots of BPs focusing on Clown stuff in 2014.

1.0 P. Reticulatus 50% Dwarf Purple Albino het Gen Stripe

Chris from The Lizard Horde
    www.thelizardhorde.com
    Our Iherp Reptile Collection
    https://www.facebook.com/TheLizardHorde

13. The Following User Says Thank You to OctagonGecko729 For This Useful Post:

grrmisfit (03-23-2014)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast