Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,430

2 members and 3,428 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gravel?

Thanks

Gravel?

So does anyone know of a breeder that sells them? I feel like this is a morph that is kept under lockdown for use in highway combos. I found an ad for a highway male for 15k and an ad for a 1.1 gravel pair with deleted photos for 2,900 for the pair from 2012. I would love to get a gravel male someday. You'd think they'd be a little more common since it's codom.

And what is meant by "het highway"? Gravel and YB are both codom so I'm confused.
    http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ghlight=gravel
    Alluring Constrictors

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 971 Posts

Re: Gravel?

Quote Originally Posted by Marrissa View Post
    So does anyone know of a breeder that sells them? I feel like this is a morph that is kept under lockdown for use in highway combos. I found an ad for a highway male for 15k and an ad for a 1.1 gravel pair with deleted photos for 2,900 for the pair from 2012. I would love to get a gravel male someday. You'd think they'd be a little more common since it's codom.

And what is meant by "het highway"? Gravel and YB are both codom so I'm confused.
    http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ghlight=gravel
    There aren't many Gravels for sale because the first few people making them couldn't tell them apart 100% from the YBs...Plus things like that usually get sold before they hit the net.

Should start seeing more Gravels this year! I hope to have some available!

Another case of misused terminology!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coldbloodaddict For This Useful Post:

Marrissa (02-09-2014),steve_r34 (02-09-2014)

Thanks
    I am skeptical of powerhouse though. Have not seen a highway from there's yet, but could have missed the post somewhere. Cannot wait to see more of them available, and the combos of them are fantastic. You may want to contact Shane of Shane's Serpents he has his own line of gravels that are pretty sweet.
    Mini monitors, other select herps, and aquatics.

Thanks
    its rare and expensive and its purpose is very clear, its to make highways.

i guess the people that first get them just pair them to ivory, and ivory combos, making sure that every hatchling that gets the gravel gene will be a highway. and then you can continue with pairings of highway to ivory.

about "het highway", well, even if the genes are codominant, a certain trait or phenotype can still be recessive. blue eye leucistic, black eye leucistic and ivory are all recessive traits, while the genes that produce them are codominant.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pythonfriend View Post
    about "het highway", well, even if the genes are codominant, a certain trait or phenotype can still be recessive. blue eye leucistic, black eye leucistic and ivory are all recessive traits, while the genes that produce them are codominant.
    The homozygous forms of incomplete dominant(not co-dominant) genes are not recessive. The whole of a homozygous incomplete dominant gene(super pastel) is the result of two parts of the distinctly different heterozygous incomplete dominant gene(pastel).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobNJ View Post
    The homozygous forms of incomplete dominant(not co-dominant) genes are not recessive. The whole of a homozygous incomplete dominant gene(super pastel) is the result of two parts of the distinctly different heterozygous incomplete dominant gene(pastel).
    the genes are not recessive, but the TRAIT is. for example, with the blue eye lucy genes, the trait "all-white patternless snake with blue eyes" can be considered recessive, because both parents need to contribute something, and two genes need to come together on the same locus. this is also consistent with how its passed on. the visual characteristics of a single gene lesser are codominant, you breed a snake that looks like a lesser to a normal, and half of the offspring look like lessers. but the visual characteristic of a BEL is passed on like a recessive. breed a super lesser BEL to a normal, and you dont get any blue eye lucys. you just get lessers. and when you breed those together, you have a 25% chance to hit your blue eye lucy. just like breeding het to het when working with a recessive gene.

so, calling a gravel "het highway" or calling a fire "het black eyed leucistic" is a bit uncommon, but not incorrect.

and, are highways still that expensive? 15000 for a male? thats really a lot.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 971 Posts

Gravel?

my problem with that terminology is...
    If you breed two "het Highways" together you don't get any Highways! How does that work? lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by coldbloodaddict; 02-09-2014 at 03:10 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coldbloodaddict For This Useful Post:

Ball Clan (02-10-2014),michel (02-15-2014)

BPnet Veteran Slowcountry Balls's Avatar
    Thanks

I had the same issue when people started calling Spasrks het Puma. With the Blue Eyed Luecistic and Black Eyed Luecistic, the terminology could work (except for Phantoms and Mystics, since they have more pattern than is generally accepted for luecistics). The terminology works since Mojave, Lesser/Butter, Mocha, and others all make a Blue Eyed Luecistic when bred to themselves or one another. But if Gravels are het Highway, and Sparks are het Pumas, what does that make a Yellowbelly? Is it also a het Puma? Or also a het Gravel? I think the het terminology is confusing when used with complex animals that are different. People don't use het Mystic Potion, they go with Mojave and Mystic. I've noticed that people have almost stopped using the term het Puma and have stopped using the term het Super Stripe for the Specter gene. I expect that people will stop using the term het Highway in the future, especially with how awesome the Super Gravel looks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    The het highway, het superstripe, ect. all got named that first before their modern name came around.

As for the terminology, well it doesn't even come close to making sense imo, like even more than usual. when you say het "X" you are referring to an organism being heterozygous at a locus with mutant gene X and its wild type allele both being present. It takes two different alleles of the same gene to be called heterozygous, its not just the mutant gene. Highway is heterozygous at the locus we are referring to, two different mutant alleles. So if anything, the actual highway is the only true het highway. At least in that sense you can breed a het highway to a het highway and get highways

But I think calling them gravels and just moving on is much easier.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

Albey (02-11-2014),Ball Clan (02-10-2014)

Thanks
    yes maybe you are right and it doesnt make much sense because its a combo of two different genes. so, basically, calling a gravel a "het super gravel" would be plausible, but het highway is a bit weird.

anyway, about the prices..... 15000 for a highway, and 2900 for a pair of gravels.... it seems a bit odd, you could buy the pair of gravels and buy a male ivory and two or 3 female ivorys, breed gravel to ivory, and produce lots of clutches, and 50% of the hatchlings will be highways. does anyone know more about the prices?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast