Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,338

4 members and 3,334 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new here!

Thanks

new here!

hi guys im 24, from nj, joined the army in 2009 stationed at fort bliss tx, did a tour in iraq 09-10, and decided to stay in texas after i got out. i have 2 red dobermans and a lovebird, my fish finally died and it was time for me to get something else. i previously have had a ball python in nj but i gave it to my friend when i left for the army. i decided to get another one.

my tank setup right now is a 20 gallon terrarium, metal screen, 2 heat lamps one day one night with 150 watt bulbs in each. 2 hides one on each side, and an under tank heater on the hot side. obviously a water dish and a branch for him to climb on. i have 2 stick on thermometers one on each side and a hygrometer in the center.

i want to make sure my setup is correct for my snake.

the tank came with 75 watt bulbs but they were nowhere near keeping temps up, so i switched to 100 and still it lingered about 75-80 the max!
    so this morning i picked up the 150s and an undertank heater which seems to be working great. hot side stays around 86 and cool side around 77-80.

since i am in the desert (el paso) there is pretty much 0 humidity so i have been misting the tank once or twice a day to keep it around 40-50%

my snake is about 1.5-2 feet and they recommended feeding him one fuzzy a week, is this correct?

heres some pics how do you think the setup is?

everytime i upload a pic it comes out upside downsorry for the sideways view lol

BPnet Senior Member Solarsoldier001's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 785 Posts

Re: new here!

Nice to meet you and welcome. As far as keeping humidity in. The top for those kinds of cases let humidity out a lot. You mind consider covering some of it to try and keep it in. The log hides are pretty. But for ball pythons those let in too much light. They might not feel concealed enough. Love the way it looks.

Sent from iPhone 5 using tapatalk
    Boys:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pewter - Dexter | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Butters | Super Fire - Mr. Buttons | Mystic - Charming | Banana Enchi Woma - Gizmo |
    Girls:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pinstripe - Honey | Mojave - Maya | Lesser - Pepper | Calico 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Jewel | Normal 100% Het Pied - Hinata | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Aurora | Spider 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Betsy | Blue Eye Leustic 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Snowflake | Spinner Blast - Jasmin | Butterbee - Ariel | Hypo Butter - Penelope |

Thanks
    i just put little dish towels on top to keep some humidity in but have to find something that wont catch on fire haha, ill see what petsmart has again as far as hides but the slanted logs were really small, they only had these in stock, i can possibly cover one end of each for now.

Thanks

As far as the containers go. I went to the $1 store and bought

And cut them out to look like this

They cost about a $1.50. If you can find black ones those are even better

I use moist towels all the time. I haven't felt like they catch on fire

Boys:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pewter - Dexter | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Butters | Super Fire - Mr. Buttons | Mystic - Charming | Banana Enchi Woma - Gizmo |
    Girls:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pinstripe - Honey | Mojave - Maya | Lesser - Pepper | Calico 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Jewel | Normal 100% Het Pied - Hinata | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Aurora | Spider 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Betsy | Blue Eye Leustic 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Snowflake | Spinner Blast - Jasmin | Butterbee - Ariel | Hypo Butter - Penelope |

Thanks
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service, nice to see more Vets. Nice set-up, but I think it's a little too open for a BP I suggest covering up three sides of the tank and possibly adding some foliage to give your snake some more security. Would love to see some pictures of your snake.
    If you're are not going to stand behind the soldiers, feel free to stand in front of them.

Collection:
    1 Blood Python. (Benito)
    1 Normal Ball Python (Breda)
    1 Coastal Carpet Python (Richthofen)
    1 Siamese/Tabby Cat (Junkers)

Thanks

I definitely will get some more stuff for him to curl into

Thanks
    For now i covered 3 sides with notebook paper and put a damp towel on top of the screen hopefully it should help retain humidity

Thanks

That should help.

Great looking snake btw.
    -------------------------------------------
    Jim

1.0 Banana Black Pastel (Nolan)

Thanks
    Here's what I fixed, 2 new little hides, some background and some vine, seems like he likes it already, thank you for the help, pic is clear, the wall of the tank just has some water spray on it since I key the humidity out

Thanks

You did that fast lol. Good job man

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast