Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,130

4 members and 3,126 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,112
Threads: 248,551
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NxtGenExotics
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member Mephibosheth1's Avatar
    Thanks

Help with Temp/Humidity

Greetings

So, after Mycroft's botched shed last month, I've been keeping a closer eye on my humidity. I'm noticing that I cannot keep it above 35-40%…I have a washrag on top that I keep misted, a water dish (porcelain dog dish) that I have on the warm side of the tank, and still can't get things dialed in. I've been using paper towels as the substrate, I use a UTH to heat the warm side, and have a Heat Lamp (with Dimmer Switch) to maintain the ambient temperature. Even with the heat lamp, the cool side temps dip down to 67 at night (my parents won't heat the house warmer).

So, my questions are: how do I boost the humidity?? And are there any other ways to stabilize the temps??

It hasn't' been an issue until the last month…we are heading into the middle of a really dry year, and I don't think the humidity levels will rebound to what they were last year (I didn't have this problem all through summer). Help would be appreciated!!
    CRYSTAL MEPH

1.0 100% Het for Carmel Normal–Mycroft (P. regius)
    1.2 Manx, Scottish Fold, Tabby–Mocha, Precious, Kitty-Beau (F. domesticus)
    30.90 Breeder Mice (M. musculus)

"It will all be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end"
    –John Lennon//oo\\

Thanks
    I will take a paper towel or two, completely wet it down and toss it in the cage. I use RO water and my substrate is microfiber towels. This will raise and keep humidity before the shed process. I generally do it as soon as I notice the cloudy eyes and then taper it off the next day or two until they shed. Bear in mind this is only during dry times.

Works well for me and I have never had to deal with eye caps or shedding issues. Of course, they always like a great soak.

In winter, which doesn't really get too cold where I am at, I can attach more heat strip tape to the sides of the cage to raise ambient temps. I prefer not to use heat lamps. I use a porcelain bowl for the water and I place it directly over the hottest part of the heat tape under the tub, it helps heat the porcelain and produce a tad of stable humidity.

These are really things that are hard to copy since everyone's home is different. Best advice is to play with your set up until you have have it down.
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Normal

Thanks
    He's in a 20 gallon aquarium, and I don't want to use towels/repti-carpet due to possible bacterial issues...

any other thoughts??
    CRYSTAL MEPH

–John Lennon//oo\\

Thanks
    The humidity issue can easily be solved by misting regularly, if this is not possible, there are automatic misters that can be purchased, which I am personally not a fan of. I am in Southern California, it gets plenty dry here in summer months so I can relate to your concern.

I also have never liked using heat lamps. You can add heat tape as a supplement to the UTH but definitely use a Ranco or JC with it.

I have never used repti-carpet but curious as to why you would think a towel would be an inhibitor for bacteria? Regularly changed out, it should pose no bigger threat of a breeding ground for bacteria than any other substrate that is not changed regularly and maintained. I have been using MF towels successfully for 10 years. I get the added bonus of never having to worry about introducing mites or parasites into the husbandry from a supplier.

Just a side note, if you run your house heater regularly, there is no more effective way of De-humidifying the ambient air in your house. I would even go as far as to set up a humidifier in the room to counter this, but I think that is excessive. Perhaps the glass aquarium makes it harder to hold humidity than plastic tubs, which I use, but I have never tested this and so can't back it up. Merely a suggestion.
    Last edited by Noek; 02-04-2014 at 10:11 PM.
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Normal

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Noek For This Useful Post:

Mephibosheth1 (02-04-2014)

Thanks
    Instead of using paper towels, I'd suggest using coco husk. Not only will it insulate to keep the heat in, it keeps humidity in as well. I would also buy some moss and put it into his hide. That way you can just wet the moss without worrying about providing the right humidity for the rest of the tank.

You might want to find a material to insulate the back and the sides of the glass terrarium so that way you retain more heat inside. I'd use that cork board to cover those sides (if that makes sense).
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Help with Temp/Humidity

I hope people don't get tired of me suggesting this, as I have done for about 5 other posters. But try this. Get a warm mist humidifier (one that boils the water) put it next to the tank and funnel all the steam over to the top of the cage. I use aluminum foil. I am able to keep my humidity as high as I want this way. It also helps boost temps since the steam is warm. Works for me in my 40 gallon glass tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jtupnsmoke For This Useful Post:

Noek (02-04-2014),pbyeerts (02-05-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    What is your altitude in Yuba City? Higher altitudes can make a dry winter even tougher for keeping the humidity up. You may want to give serious thought to ditching the tank, and moving over to a tub set up. Keeping humidity up is a breeze in almost any type of tub enclosure.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    I'm in Davis, so not too far away. I use tubs, so I haven't had shedding issues yet.

For humidity:
    1) Large-wide water dish: wide surface area promotes greater evaporation
    2) Use a substrate that retains moisture: Coco-husk or Cypress mulch

OR

Instead of fixing the entire enclosure, just provide your animal with a "Humid Hide".
    Get a tupperware container with a lid and cut an entrance hole into it. Place damp paper towel or damp moss inside. This creates a humid micro-climate that the snake can choose to enter when it needs humidity

For temps:
    Get some insulation foam board and surround your tank. A large board from Home Depot is only like $6. Insulating glass goes a long way in retaining heat.
    It also might be wise to invest in a room space heater.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Mephibosheth1 (02-04-2014),pbyeerts (02-05-2014),Slim (02-04-2014)

Thanks
    Thanks for the help…i'll let you know what I come up with

I would really like to transition to a rack (that way I can get more snakes too lol) but still want to be able to display Mycroft in an attractive manner…can you still do that in a tub??

And Slim, I think I'm around 59-60ft elevation (that's what wikipedia said)
    Last edited by Mephibosheth1; 02-04-2014 at 11:41 PM.
    CRYSTAL MEPH

–John Lennon//oo\\

Thanks

Re: Help with Temp/Humidity

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    What is your altitude in Yuba City? Higher altitudes can make a dry winter even tougher for keeping the humidity up. You may want to give serious thought to ditching the tank, and moving over to a tub set up. Keeping humidity up is a breeze in almost any type of tub enclosure.
    +1

Never had a glass aquarium, I've always used tubs and I can't recall either of my BP's having shedding issues. Aesthetically, it's an eye sore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mephibosheth1 View Post
    Thanks for the help…i'll let you know what I come up with

I would really like to transition to a rack (that way I can get more snakes too lol) but still want to be able to display Mycroft in an attractive manner…can you still do that in a tub??

And Slim, I think I'm around 59-60ft elevation (that's what wikipedia said)
    Rack systems are mundane compared to a beautifully decorated glass terrarium. I build furniture as a hobby so I have planned to re-design my rack system using contrasting hard woods in hopes of making it appear more like a piece of furniture as opposed to a shelf system. I think maple and walnut with some exotic hardwood laminates and inlays would work well but I need to do some research to ensure the woods are safe to use.
    Last edited by Noek; 02-04-2014 at 11:46 PM.
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Normal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast