Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,413

1 members and 3,412 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: I really question the intelligence of dogs at times...

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeKittyFishy View Post
    I'm by no means a doggy expert, but I thought I saw somewhere eating their poo is a sign of poor nutrition in their food. Maybe something to look into oh btw, EWWY lol
    I feed him a 4.5 star dog food that contains no dyes, preservatives, corn, soy or wheat. He gets two meals of that per day and then a bit of the raw stuff that I feed my ferrets.
    1 Husband, 1 Western Hognose Snake (male), 2 ferrets (2 females), 1 male jungle leopard gecko, 4 gerbils (2 females & 2 males), 1 male dwarf rabbit, 3 guinea pigs (1 male, 1 female and 1 female skinny pig), 2 American parakeets, 2 cats (male bobcat hybrid and a male Egyptian Mau mix), and 2 dogs (female Mini Dachshund and a female Alaskan Malamute).

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

I think some dogs just like poop. My dogs aren't big poop eaters, unless it's fresh horse manure. They seem to think that's a delicacy!
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

My dogs don't eat dog poop. But they love ferret turds. Especially the crunchy dried up ones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    One time my dog snuck into my room and ate one of my cat's fresh turds out of the litter box D:
    I watched her scoop it up with her tongue and leave, by the time I tried to take it away, it was already eaten

Animals eat poop because plant matter is hard to digest and if they aren't built to digest it twice, they will eat their poop to get all the nutrition. I've seen my rats do it from time to time.

Dogs though... I think they just eat poop because it's so "yummy" -_-

Thanks
    And yet you all let your dogs kiss your faces. (though they do have cleaner mouths than we do) but still... they could have been licking their rumps before they started licking you or eating poop.
    If you're are not going to stand behind the soldiers, feel free to stand in front of them.

Collection:
    1 Blood Python. (Benito)
    1 Normal Ball Python (Breda)
    1 Coastal Carpet Python (Richthofen)
    1 Siamese/Tabby Cat (Junkers)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheLuftGator View Post
    And yet you all let your dogs kiss your faces. (though they do have cleaner mouths than we do) but still... they could have been licking their rumps before they started licking you or eating poop.
    Not me! Lol
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

Thanks

My dog has coprophagia too. So nasty! Have to be quick around here to clean it up before he snacks on it. There are many different reasons for it, and there is some speculation it might have a genetic component. My dog's half sibling who lives with a friend also has the problem.

Of course, I taught my dog to "give kisses" before I found his gross habit out. Uggghhh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Some dogs will do that out of sheer boredom as well. Not all dogs that do that behavior have a deficiency. I've seen healthy dogs on very high quality dog feed do it.
    THE place for Blood/Short-Tail Enthusiasts

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Awaiting Abyss View Post
    He's very stubborn and vocal. He never barks but he makes the howls and groans and such like you describe.
    He loves poop... He used to constantly get kitty poo out of the litterbox before we got one of those top entrance litterboxes to prevent that. And he and my chihuahua both love eating the rat poo from around the DCN that the rats are in.

As for the new DCN, several pieces were broken so I contacted Midwest about it. So now I have to wait for the parts to come.
    Yup! My dog Mike (he was a Boerboel or Boerboel mix, we were never sure) loved poop. Ate his own all the time, caught him shoulder deep in the litter box more than once. When I caught him in the litter box I refused to let him lick me for a week, I was so grossed out.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeKittyFishy View Post
    I'm by no means a doggy expert, but I thought I saw somewhere eating their poo is a sign of poor nutrition in their food. Maybe something to look into oh btw, EWWY lol
    Nope, this isn't true. I seriously asked my vet about it. Dogs just love eating poop. You can buy a special supplement to feed them that supposedly makes their poop taste nasty....as if it tasted good in the first place!
    "Your absence has gone through me like thread through a needle. Everything I do is stitched with its color."

-W.S. Merwin

Thanks
    i had a french bulldog who was also about 10 months and she would eat her poop. some times she would remember to go on the puppy pad but once in a while she would go on the floor and then eat it all up.

i took this as a sign that she was yelled at or spanked by her previous owners for pooping in the wrong places, so she was smart enough to try to hide the evidence (the other dogs we have just poop and leave it there -_-)

because she required so much energy i ended up giving her to my best friend's parents. i felt terrible that i 'abandoned' her but i'm 500% sure she's in a much better environment. she is no longer eating her poop now, and she's the happiest little snoring and farting booger ever

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast