Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,700

3 members and 1,697 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,560
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shedding

Thanks
    Ok,

My BP is about two or three months old. I have had her for about two weeks. I got her at petco. Sorry, but I could not pass her up 29.99 and she is pretty. Anyways, she has been eating great and went into a shed about a week ago and still has not gotten rid of it. I have kept her humidity up to 85% and I keep soaking her in water, I even fed her. But yet she still has all of it on her and little bits keep coming off. Should I worry?? What should I do?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Shedding

$29.99 for a Ball at Petco? Erm, wow. Have you asked why she was so cheap? You won't be able to find them that cheaply even at a herp show.
    When you say she hasn't gotten rid of it, what do you mean? Does she still have flakes of skin on her? That's not uncommon for balls, they'll occasionally get that. It's not just humidity that can affect them; sometimes it's also stress and diet. Unless she continues this pattern for a few months or has kept her eyecaps, I wouldn't worry too much.
    0.1 Ball -Ruby-
    0.1 Viper Boa -Vash-
    ....and lots and lots of feeder mousies.....

Thanks
    Stress seems to be a large factor whether or not the shed comes off in one piece or not. You have to take into account how the bp was kept until you got him/her. That will play a huge role in your first shed .. no matter how perfect your husbandry is.
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

Thanks
    Carson and Uberalice have nailed it.
    Sometimes it takes a bit of TLC before you will get a good shed. I have been working with a BP that was in very bad shape from a pet store. I had his husbandry just right from the get go, but it took him a few sheds to get to where he should be. I think you are doing everything right... no worries
    1.0 Green tree python

Thanks
    You could also try soaking for about an hour, then put it into a pillowcase with a damp towel. They crawl around in there and that will usually take care of any remaining shed...
    1.0 Green tree python

Thanks
    I would bet that Petco did not provide the right humidity for its time there, and even though you gave the proper conditions when you brought it home, it doesn't suprise me that you have a problem shed anyway. Just keep doing what you are doing and the next shed should be much much better!
    -Brad

Thanks
    UberAlice, FYI, Petco ran a big sale a month (?) or so ago with imports on sale nationwide at that price. My younger daughter wanted to buy one but I pointed out she couldn't afford to feed it. With the quantities they sell, they can probably afford to sell them at that price all the time and still make money.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    One of the stands at the Wasatch Reptile Expo was selling Bps for 14 bucks. crazy huh? They didnt last long...
    1.0 Green tree python

Thanks
    I bought my bp from Petco too. There cages suck the temp is around 80 and the humidity is around 45-50, one hide for four snakes.It makes me so sad .
    1 cat... Jim tressel
    1 ball python...Cujo
    My album

Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,369 Posts
    Blog Entries
    it makes me sad to see them going for that cheap. you know they are most likely imported, have never been checked by a vet, and who knows if they have ever even eaten a meal. and prices that low encourage impulse buying, especially by people who don't know anything about them at all. they just see them and like them and figure-hey $14-i can totally afford that! and then 6 months down the road they have this sickly little snake that is living in improper conditions, that won't eat and that they don't want anymore....sigh....
    - Emily

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast