Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,126

1 members and 3,125 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux

Thread: I'm new here

Thanks

I'm new here

And considering a ball python. I have had cats and dogs all my life in the country, but now live in the city. Several people have told me I'm right for a snake. I am quite busy, but would like a pet. A Ball Python seems to be right, given the feeding requirements and emotional attention. I like an animal I can handle, but does not need me emotionally on a daily basis. Am I on target here? If not, please let me know.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to leekohler2 For This Useful Post:

JMinILM (02-01-2014)

Thanks

Re: I'm new here

You're right on the money. Ball Pythons definitely don't need hugs or cuddles. However they do need proper temperatures and humidity which is pretty easily achieved once perfected.

I do have to warn you: once you get one BP, you'll want more.

Sent using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

NH93 (02-01-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Misha View Post
    You're right on the money. Ball Pythons definitely don't need hugs or cuddles. However they do need proper temperatures and humidity which is pretty easily achieved once perfected.

I do have to warn you: once you get one BP, you'll want more.

Sent using Tapatalk
    That's what I hear, but do they like to be handled? Can I cuddle with this snake"?

Thanks

Sure you can cuddle a bit if you want. Just don't over do it. They will sit in your lap. Crawl around your shoulders, all sorts of things like that. Just remember proper husbandry is top priority. You'll learn a lot from the folks here. Good luck.
    -------------------------------------------
    Jim

1.0 Banana Black Pastel (Nolan)

Thanks

You definitely sound like the right candidate for a ball. If you get a hatchling it is more likely to be skittish and need more frequent handling in order to accustom him to being held, but after that he should be fine if you don't do much with him for a few weeks when things get hectic and then decide to hold him again one day.

And as it was stated above, balls are extremely addictive. Once you get one you want morph after morph until suddenly you have a collection and before you know it you have an entire room in your house dedicated to snakes!

Welcome to the wonderful world of balls!
    2.4 Piebalds
    1.3 Albino het pied
    0.1 Pied het albino
    0.1 Killer Pied
    0.2 Savannah Pewter 66% het pied
    0.1 Vanishing Sterling het pied
    0.2 Cinnamon het pied
    1.0 Pastave het pied
    1.0 Spider het VPI Axanthic
    0.1 Pastel het VPI Axanthic
    1.0 Pastel Clown
    0.3 het Clown
    0.1 Piebald poss het albino
    0.2 Het Piebald
    2.5 Albino
    0.1 Het Albino
    1.0 Lavender Albino
    0.1 Pinstripe Lavender Albino
    0.2 het Lavender Albino
    0.2 Enchi
    1.1 Killerbee
    1.1 Spinnerblast
    0.1 Spider Het Albino
    1.2 Spider
    0.3 Pastel
    0.3 Super Pastel
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser
    0.1 Pastel het pied
    0.3 Lesser
    0.1 Mojave
    1.2 Bumblebee
    0.1 Bumblebee Het Caramel Albino
    1.1 Lesserbee
    0.1 Enchibee
    0.2 Pinstripe
    1.0 Kingpin
    0.3 Normals

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TexanLady For This Useful Post:

JMinILM (02-01-2014)

Thanks

They are so addicting just got my second one today got my first not to long ago , love them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ball Pythons: 0.1 Piebald, 1.0 Barnhart Line Pewter, 1.0 Pastel, 1.0 Pastel ???,
    0.1 Butter Pastel Het Orange Ghost, 1.0 Pastel Het Orange Ghost, 0.1 Normal

Reticulated Python: 1.0 Tiger het albino

Kingsnake: 0.1 Albino Vertical Stripe

Boas: 0.1 Motley Nicaraguan Boa, 1.0 Colombian Boa

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ZacharyPoller For This Useful Post:

JMinILM (02-01-2014)

Thanks
    if u never been around snakes b4 id start going to the pet stores and seeing if u even like them .. ( i don't know who wouldn't ) but u know just to get a feel for them just to make sure u are sure .. they don't require much attention .. just getting the husbandry is a little annoying at 1st once done its very simple .. and as everyone else said there a very addictive ..

also welcome to site i hope u enjoy it.. there are great people with great advice here .n for the most part we are very friendly ...
    1.1 het pied ,1.1 pastel,1. butter, .1 spider , .1 fire ph ghost , .1 pastave

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

First of all welcome to the site.

Agree that you should go check one out at a pet store, but do not buy one there! Find out if there is a reptile show close to you. Go there and get one. The selection, knowledge of the seller and price will be far superior there.

And yes they are addictive. I started with 1 normal in 2002 and now I have everything listed below, plus babies that will be sold and are therefore not listed.
    Family:
    0.1 Wife
    3.1 Kids

Balls:
    1.0 Lesser Pied, 1.0 VPI Snow, 1.0 Super Pastel Mojave, 1.1 Albino het VPI Axanthic G-Stripe, 1.0 Albino Black Pastel, 2.2 Triple het VPI Axanthic/Albino/Pied, 1.1 Triple het VPI Axanthic/Albino/G-Stripe, 0.1 Pastel BEL(Mojave/Lesser), 0.1 Sterling Mojave, 0.2 Pied, 0.2 Kingpin het Pied, 0.1 Cinnamon Lesser het Pied, 0.2 Clown, 0.1 Citrus Pewter Calico, 0.1 Pastel Mystic, 0.1 Mystic, 0.2 Cinnapin, 0.1 VPI Axanthic G-Stripe, 0.1 G-Stripe het Albino, 0.1 G-Stripe, 0.1 Pewter, 0.1 Lesser, 0.2 Spider ph Pied, 0.1 Spotnose ph Pied, 0.1 Spinner, 0.1 Black Pastel, 0.1 Normal

Other:
    1.0 Husky
    0.1 Husky/Lab

Thanks
    Sounds like this, or any other herp, would be a great pet for you!
    If you want something with more emotional attachment, you may want to look into some types of lizards or even a tortoise (although I don't know too much about them, so I could be wrong).
    HOWEVER. I LOVE my snakes. They aren't like mammals, albiet, but you can cuddle them in a different way. Instead of snuggling and rubbing them all over, you can hold them close to you, maybe lightly rub their chin (if they let you), or allow them to go through your hair/around your shoulders. It is a different kind of 'affection' (more so for the humans!), but I honestly think it can be just as rewarding.

They are fun little animals, and they all have their own personalities. Some seem to enjoy head scratches or exploring outside the enclosure, some are more personable or outgoing and will sit right out in the open. Others are more shy and hide all the time, or can only tolerate being handled for a few minutes. It really will depend what type of snake you get and how you interact with it! Sometimes even then it won't matter

"Snakes gonna snake".

But do some reading, go to the main page and check out the care sheets, and hang around some snakes - as mentioned above, check out the pet store. Or better yet, find a reptile show near you if possible and check it out! You will probably find someone who will let you hold their snake, too. Great fun
    If you do end up deciding on a snake or ball python, I suggest looking into breeders rather than pet stores. Not only will it save you money, but most likely stress and problems in the long run. Not all pet stores are bad, but generally speaking breeders are a much better source for pet snakes. You will know exactly what you are getting from a good breeder. The age, sex, genetics, etc. Better health all around!

Best of luck!
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ball pythons are super easy and take very little time. People who say they are getting rid of their ball python because they don't have time for it are full of it. They literally take maybe 20 minutes a week if you have a decent set up. Tanks are a pain, they will take more time because you may need to mist regularly to keep the humidity up. At first setting up the tank and getting everything right can be overwhelming, but with time it's super easy. I go on vacation for a week at a time without really worrying about the snakes. I do have someone stop by a couple times just to make sure temps are right. I have temp alarms, but those don't do any good when no one is home!