Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,390

2 members and 3,388 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Pac man substrate

Hi there. After a lot of deliberation I finally picked up my first pac man frog. As I'm setting up the tank I thought of something I didn't think of until now. Can pac man frogs get mites or anything like that from coco husk substrate? I was using some for my snakes and I think they got mites from the substrate, though I could be wrong. Just wondering about any pests to be concerned about. In the reading that I have done I don't remember hearing anything about pests but I'm sure someone out there will know better. Thanks for helping.

Thanks
    You can always freeze it overnight before putting it in, that should ditch anything that tries to hitch a ride. I have no idea what kinds of parasites take a liking to amphibians, but I know my last batch of cocofiber and/or cypress had wood mites, and I am personally against any bugs in with my animals.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Thanks
    I'm not sure, though I do know that my Eco earth had little (like this . big) bugs in my WC western toads tank & I freaked out at first. I soon found out they were springtails & I was developing my own little Eco system apparently. They're there to munch down on poop and decomposed matter. So I'd check specifically into the brand you choose to use reviews, springtails, & such. Good luck!

Thanks
    I never had an issue with bugs of any kind in my eco earth but I don't believe any parasites that can harm your frog can survive too long without a host animal.
    0.1 Blue Beauty Snake

1.2 Normals
    0.1 Mystic
    0.1 Pastel Poss Het Ghost
    1.0 Banana Bumblebee

0.1 Common Snapping Turtle