Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,349

3 members and 3,346 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Some Snake News out of Southern California

Well, I'm NOT glad that their pressing charges. This guy was a member of this forum, a rather well liked and respected member who suffered a recent tragedy. While I'm not a psychologist, I do deal with severe depression every day and this sounds like a pretty classic case to me.

It's a very sad story all around, it's very sad that the animals were suffering and dying, but remember that in the middle of all of this there is also a human being who is suffering as well.
    Who knows what makes people do the heinous things they do. Did this guy suffer some kind of emotional trauma yet to be reviled? If so, what could have happened that would cause this guy to make these snakes suffer like he did? Snakes don’t just die over night from neglect. It takes MONTHS AND MONTHS of neglect. I’ve known snakes to go without eating for over a year! This equates to MONTHS AND MONTHS of suffering for these snakes!!

Hopefully, this guy will get some help now. (I doubt it though)

Too bad, the same can't be said for the snakes that had to suffer for such a long time before they died. Hopefully the remaining snakes will find good homes and not be put down.

I’m sorry, but I find it hard to have compassion for someone that can allow something like this to happen. A simple phone call could/would have prevented this from happening. Even a simple post here on the forum.

I put people like this right up there with child molesters. These are people that have no regard for the sanctity of life. Depression or no depression. These snakes could have, just as easily, been children.

This guy may have been a respected member of this society, but I ask you..… How respected is he now?? Many a child molesters and murderers have been considered respected members of the community as well.

This guy should never be allowed to own another living animal as long as he lives. He will get no jail time. Just as those that neglect other animals get a slap on the hand – so will he.

London, England (Not New England or any American place!!!)
    Thanks
    horrible
    -David

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

You had to read through multiple news articles to piece the story together. It looks like he went downhill after his mom passed away a few years ago, and he didn't have any close friends/family who knew there was a problem until it was too late. Whether his grief caused his depression or exacerbated a pre-existing problem he had, who knows.

Thanks

Instead of arguing/figuring out what happened, please donate whatever you can so they can try and save these animals. It already happened so lets move on.

Here's the donation link: http://www.gofundme.com/6k852w

Also, if you're in South California, they're accepting donations of any supplies you can give. Email them directly: socalherpassn@gmail.com

Sent using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andys-Python View Post
    It takes MONTHS AND MONTHS of neglect. I’ve known snakes to go without eating for over a year! This equates to MONTHS AND MONTHS of suffering for these snakes!!
    No it doesn't take MONTH'S AND MONTH'S. With high heat and no water it can take less then a month

I put people like this right up there with child molesters. These are people that have no regard for the sanctity of life. Depression or no depression. These snakes could have, just as easily, been children.
    This is a completely ridiculous assumption and shows just how little you know. Your further diatribe sounds like the rantings of a petulant child.
    Last edited by MarkS; 01-30-2014 at 03:06 PM.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarkS For This Useful Post:

BrandiR (01-31-2014),Shann (01-30-2014),Stewart_Reptiles (02-11-2014)

Thanks
    I just hope this doesn't lead to more nonsensical laws being passed. I've read so many FB comments about this story already (from non-herpers) calling for "more inspections" and "stricter licensing" on people keeping snakes... They would not do the same if it was a case of a hoarder with dogs / cats. There's just too little knowledge about how snakes are properly kept and that they have similar status to dogs and cats as pets, in the general population.

I agree that this guy has issues, but I hope that he does have to go through consequences for his actions. If he does have to do jail time, maybe they can get a psychiatrist to work with him. However, mental issues are not an excuse for what he did. In our society there's too much of a tendency to never take responsibility for one's actions... i.e. it was because I had a messed up childhood, or I was bullied, or... You fill in the blank. Yes, he obviously was depressed, but as others have said, that would not excuse his actions if he had murdered a person, stolen property, molested a child, etc. This should be treated like any other crime.

I hope the remaining snakes are allowed to be adopted out to good homes and not euthanized, as others have said. It's great that the local reptile club is taking care of them, otherwise, I'm sure animal control would have killed all of them.

Thanks
    Thanks for posting this. So often you hear of tragedies and are not able to do anything, it's nice to be able to donate. Misha- I think the local reptile club is handling it, you could contact them to find out what you could do.

Thanks

Bastards

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    Can we donate by requesting to adopt the snakes?
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MrLang For This Useful Post:

Bluebonnet Herp (01-30-2014)

Thanks
    Also, it wouldnt take long for all kinds of bacterial infections to set in if he stopped cleaning cages. Animals laying in their own filth, no water changes, no humidity regulation, and no food can certainly kill the animals within weeks instead of months. Some animals survived and the ones that were dead did not appear to be from starvation in the video i saw, they were skinny but no where near what i typically see in your average crappy pet store.
    5.5.13 C. Ciliatus - Specialize in Super Dals
    0.0.1 V. Exanthematicus (Skorge)
    4.4 U. Lineatus
    1.2 N. Amyae
    1.2.2 N. levis levis
    1.0 U. Pietschmanni (Pietsch)
    5.2.2 U. Fimbriatus

Lots of BPs focusing on Clown stuff in 2014.

1.0 P. Reticulatus 50% Dwarf Purple Albino het Gen Stripe

Chris from The Lizard Horde
    www.thelizardhorde.com
    Our Iherp Reptile Collection
    https://www.facebook.com/TheLizardHorde

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast