Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,930

2 members and 2,928 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,586
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, masdiprizio
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Hey all, looks like my bp was more interested in escaping her food box than in eating tonight, so I refroze the rat I offered her. Is it safe to rethaw it again? I've never had to do this before, so I was just wondering if any of you have.
    -Brad

Thanks

refreezing f/t rat

I would think one time would be ok. I've heard of people doing this, but never done it myself. I would definitely make sure you got as much air out of the bag as is possible to prevent as much decay from happening.
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

Thanks
    i thought this was a no no. and since we're only talking about a couple bucks wasted here, i would think it would be better to be safe than sorry.
    1.0 ball python:alfy, 1.0 tangerine honduran milksnake:skippy, 1.0 blue-tongue skink:pup d, 0.0.1 fire skink:worm, 0.2 crested geckos:sepal and bract, 0.0.1 giant african millipede:schwartzkopf, 0.0.1 antilles pinktoe tarantula: pandora

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by led4urhead
    I would think one time would be ok. I've heard of people doing this, but never done it myself. I would definitely make sure you got as much air out of the bag as is possible to prevent as much decay from happening.
    It's okay to do once - bey0ond htat I don't know. I've never refroze mine more than once. However, you shouldn't refreeze if it was sitting in the cage for awhile...like overnight, couple of hours, etc. I personally wouldn't refreeze if it's been more than 1 hour. Some snakes actaully have a better feeding response to refrozen rodents - guess they like the pungent smell?
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    Weve done it a few times,its not a common thing but overall it doesnt hurt anything,for those that think nothing of tossing a $2 feeder,would you mind sending me $2 ??
    Its only $2 right ?? LOL!!
    Drop me a PM and I`ll get you my address or would pay-pal work better for you ?

Quote Originally Posted by elevatethis
    Hey all, looks like my bp was more interested in escaping her food box than in eating tonight, so I refroze the rat I offered her. Is it safe to rethaw it again? I've never had to do this before, so I was just wondering if any of you have.

Thanks
    i wouldnt do it. the last 3 rats i did that with, the stomach gave out on all of them. other then that, theres no prolem with it
    ~Jason~

0.1 BCI-Adrian
    1.0 Burm-Homer
    1.0 Tiger Retic-Buster
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If you give up before you try, then you never really wanted it in the first place."
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v708/BCImperator11/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    um yeah that stomach thing happened to me a couple feedings ago. The store gave me another free one, but that was NASTY...all its insides like came out.
    -Brad

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KraZeKelly
    Weve done it a few times,its not a common thing but overall it doesnt hurt anything,for those that think nothing of tossing a $2 feeder,would you mind sending me $2 ??
    Its only $2 right ?? LOL!!
    Drop me a PM and I`ll get you my address or would pay-pal work better for you ?

Quote Originally Posted by elevatethis
    I'll take two dollars too, please.

Thanks
    i was merely stating that i felt ensuring my snakes health was more important than two dollars, not that two dollars is easy for me to toss away.
    and if i am wrong on the matter of refreezing than i stand corrected. i only stated it because i know it is not good for people to refreeze meat products, granted herps aren't people, but there are certain standards i try to keep up with my animals as well, just incase.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I understand where you're coming from. I think it is different with these guys, especially when you consider snakes have been known to eat dead animals in the wild and the smell of refrozen rodents does seem to entice some to eat in captivity. I don't think they're quite as picky and I bet it's okay. Again, I only do it if the rodent has been unthawed for less than an hour.
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast