Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,405

2 members and 3,403 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Thread: OH NO, Mites!

Thanks
    I see a couple in the damn cage, and I just did a break down clean on it less than a week ago. So, my question is...1. How do I get rid of the dang things, and 2. How do I avoid them in the future.

I will search for mite posts, but if you have any quick advice, please let me know.

Thanks

OH NO, Mites!

Okay, reading up on mites, I don't think I have these. I saw 2 little tiny, tiny, tiny, red bugs crawling on the thermostat readout thing. They were not black, like I read in the post. Any idea what these little red buggers are?

Thanks
    are they the aphid thingys? you can see them around sidewalks and grass/flowers around sidewalks

i dunno much about them, but i bet google does
    0.1.0 Corn Snakes (jesse)

1.0.0 Ball Pythons (james)

1.0.0 Red Tail Boa (jeff)

Python John's Reptiles

Thanks
    Sounds like they might be red chiggers. Do a google search on them and you'll find some stuff on them. I don't know much about them. All I know is they're larvae of the harvest mite, and that harvest mites feed off of plants and such. So I guess they wouldn't be any harm to a snake...I dunno. I know they're little pests for humans though. Their bites cause itching and stuff.

Edit: here's the first site I found when I googled "red chiggers". If they are what you found, the site might be useful. I haven't checked it out in depth or anything, lol.
    http://www.pestproducts.com/chiggers.htm
    2.0 python regius - Ace(pastel) and Pelota(cross-dresser )

Thanks
    Ugh. Ick! (My sympathies) My first advice would be to clean up your cage really, really well, and put him onto a white substrate like paper towels, so's you can monitor the presence of the buggers (no decor where they can hide - just a hide, and a water dish. Then you can either buy a commercial mite-killing spray, or take him to the vet. More expensive, but the vet can check for & remove mites in difficult places like the eyes.

Don't use No-pest strips. They do worse things than kill mites.

Thanks
    Take any plants you have out of the room. Reptile mites aren't red but chiggers are. I would treat it non-chemically for now, with high-visibility substrate like white paper towels, and call your vet for advice if the chiggers persist. They are not a common indoor pest and most likely came in on something you brought in around the same time as the snake -- maybe a hunk of bark or wood? I've lived around chiggers almost my entire life and only seen them inside when the building itself was starting to fall apart.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    Can I try drowing the chiggers? i.e. put the wood that I have in water for a day? I will keep an eye out, but I just fed Jubs last night when I saw them, so I will have to wait another day before I start moving him around and cleaning.

Thanks
    some little annoying creatures can live under water for up to 14 days (or so says that orkin commercial about ants :wink: )

so, maybe you could try.....bleach, or baking it, i dunno what else

keep us updated
    0.1.0 Corn Snakes (jesse)

1.0.0 Ball Pythons (james)

1.0.0 Red Tail Boa (jeff)

Python John's Reptiles

Thanks

can't find temp guages

You could try boiling the substrate or baking it as Royal-y said. I would definitely switch to paper towels or newspaper to keep an eye on how bad of an infestation you may have. Good luck!
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.