Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,171

2 members and 3,169 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Regurge

Thanks

Regurge

Hello - So I just experiences my first regurge in my two years of owning BPs and was hoping someone could give me the "dos and don'ts" on how to properly deal with this. Here's the situation . . . . .
    On Wednesday night I offered my 1600g male a small rat - he hadn't eaten since December 11th but I have been offering every 2 weeks. He didn't take it at first but he sometimes likes to eat without me there so I left it in his tub overnight. Thursday morning I check him and the rat is gone, and he is very active as usual trying to crawl out of his tub, so I had to handle him a little bit just to get him back in. This morning I open his tub and there is a stinky partially digested rat. He seems fine, though. Temps are perfect. I suspect it's possible that he just ate that rat prior to me waking up on Thursday and handling him, which caused the regurge but it is odd that he was active within hours of eating. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Regurge

It could have been the stress from the handling, but sounds like it's time for a parasite scan if he's,been fasting and this is his first meal since then

Sent from my warm hide using Tapatalk
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Thanks

I should also add that I have been pairing him with 2 females for several months

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks

The trouble wiv drop feeding is the the snake will not always eat the rat head first. If ur snake is doing this then a rat can become stuck due to the hinge on a rats legs. This would explain the active behaviour and y he regurgitated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

That's interesting. The rat was barely digest, still whole and had all of its fur, but was definitely covered in "goo" on one side so it wasn't in him long.

Thanks

Make sure you give him at LEAST two weeks off from feeding, and a temporary QT procedure until you're in the clear.

1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Archimedes For This Useful Post:

Mike41793 (01-24-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
    Make sure you give him at LEAST two weeks off from feeding, and a temporary QT procedure until you're in the clear.

Definitely thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jt balls View Post
    The trouble wiv drop feeding is the the snake will not always eat the rat head first. If ur snake is doing this then a rat can become stuck due to the hinge on a rats legs. This would explain the active behaviour and y he regurgitated.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true. If the snake can get the rat down I don't think it could become stuck unless it was a HUGE rat, which shouldn't be fed anyways. I'm not going to say you're wrong but I've never heard of this.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jt balls View Post

Ummm not sure who you heard this from but it is completely false. I have had many that would constantly eat the prey items butt first and not have a single issue at all.

At to the OP. I would QT the animal in question, stop breeding him, wait 2 weeks and offer a smaller prey item. If he takes that one and has no issues with it I would not worry but if he has another regurge I would then bring him to the vet asap.
    Knowledge is earned not learned.

Thanks

I don't think it matters if the snake eats butt or head first. Mine all eat differently.

You should wait at least 48 hours before handling after feeding. That's the reason for the regurgitation.

Like everyone suggested already, wait a week or two and feed him again.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr. Misha; 01-24-2014 at 05:51 PM.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast