Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,347

2 members and 3,345 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

I Need Help With Snake Mite Infestation

I need help with a mite infestation to a point where they seem to have gotten out of the tub. How did it get that bad? I have no idea. I recently went on vacation for three weeks and before leaving I made sure all the snake enclosures were cleaned and snakes were fed. When I came home one of the cages was a disaster. I need help on how to control the situation. Right now I have been soaking the snakes in warm water to drown any mites that may be on them. This seems to be killing what mites are on the snakes. I also cleaned the tubs with bleach. If some of these mites got outside of the cage then how do I control the infestation. Here is some other questions besides how to get rid of them: Do they bite other reptiles (I also have a tegu), and also I herd they walk in a straight line and will keep walking till the fall off a ledge, but they can climb walls? I herd numerous people say so soak your snake with dish soap in the water, nut then I read that this method is ineffective? Out of the 13 years of keeping reptiles, I never had a mite infestation until now.

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: I Need Help With Snake Mite Infestation

Quote Originally Posted by dkarikas36 View Post
    I need help with a mite infestation to a point where they seem to have gotten out of the tub. How did it get that bad? I have no idea. I recently went on vacation for three weeks and before leaving I made sure all the snake enclosures were cleaned and snakes were fed. When I came home one of the cages was a disaster. I need help on how to control the situation. Right now I have been soaking the snakes in warm water to drown any mites that may be on them. This seems to be killing what mites are on the snakes. I also cleaned the tubs with bleach. If some of these mites got outside of the cage then how do I control the infestation. Here is some other questions besides how to get rid of them: Do they bite other reptiles (I also have a tegu), and also I herd they walk in a straight line and will keep walking till the fall off a ledge, but they can climb walls? I herd numerous people say so soak your snake with dish soap in the water, nut then I read that this method is ineffective? Out of the 13 years of keeping reptiles, I never had a mite infestation until now.
    here: http://pro-products.com/provent-a-mite/

Thanks
    Reptile Relief for use on the animals and Provent A Mite for the enclosures. I also used provent a mite on the carpet around the cages in the room.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks
    Did provent a mite on the carpets help at all?

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Mites will lay their eggs anywhere. Clean everything including carpets and walls.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

dkarikas36 (01-22-2014)

Thanks
    Can I spray provent a mite on the walls?

Thanks

Can I spray provent a mite on the walls?
    I don't see why not. I am going to say I believe that it helped spraying it on the carpet because the mites didn't spread to any of my other animals. When I found mites on my BTS I immediately pulled him out to soak, after sprayed him with reptile relief, took everything out of his cage, baked all the wood in the oven for 2 hours after bleaching it. Bleached the hides and water bowl, bleached the cage, then sprayed PAM in the enclosure, put him on paper towels. Then just because I was worried about it spreading I repeated the exact same steps with all my other cages, scrubbed the walls vaccumed the carpet, then steam cleaned and finally sprayed the PAM on the carpet and around the room. It looks like I got them all killed off, but I am going to treat for a few more weeks just to be safe.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

I recently went on vacation for three weeks...
    Who was watching your snakes in your absence? If you had someone coming over every few days to check water, clean tubs, etc. he or she could have brought in a hitchhiker from another collection.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (01-22-2014)

Thanks
    Would putting things like blankets,sheets, pillows, pillow cases, and clothes in the wash kill any mites on them?

Thanks
    Also would snake mites go after a tegu?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast