Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,244

0 members and 3,244 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Mites??

Thanks

Mites??

Little black tiny bugs? If so what do I do? I thought that I read that mites were white but I don't know.

Thanks
    Yup tiny black bugs...kind of look like poppy seeds. I just recently had a mite problem, there is a lot of good avice on this post: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...-to-Find-Mites!
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks

Re: Mites??

Quote Originally Posted by jclaiborne View Post
    Yup tiny black bugs...kind of look like poppy seeds. I just recently had a mite problem, there is a lot of good avice on this post: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...-to-Find-Mites!

Perfect, thanks!

Thanks

So Ive seen some suggestions to let the humidity drop to low 40s while I have this mite thing going. My BP is blue and has been the past few days, Im assuming shedding, so is it okay to let it drop?

BTW my intention is to completely clean the tank this weekend if mites are still there even though I sprayed the Zoomed version of Reptile Spray (store was out of RS).

Banned
    Thanks
    Get Prevent a mite,u can find it on eBay..lif he is close to shedding fully,I'd let him fully shed and then srop humidity,you don't wanna deal with a lot of stuck shed..I could be wrong but if you can hold of a few days,Im sure he will be ok

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grim8899 View Post
    Get Prevent a mite,u can find it on eBay..lif he is close to shedding fully,I'd let him fully shed and then srop humidity,you don't wanna deal with a lot of stuck shed..I could be wrong but if you can hold of a few days,Im sure he will be ok
    I actually ordered it after going through countless pages on here about mites and seeing it recommended. Wont be here until late next week however.

Should I wait until it gets here to do a full clean, or go ahead and full clean this weekend and just use it when it shows up?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mike_yorkpa View Post
    I actually ordered it after going through countless pages on here about mites and seeing it recommended. Wont be here until late next week however.

Should I wait until it gets here to do a full clean, or go ahead and full clean this weekend and just use it when it shows up?

The Reptile Relief or in your case the zoo med version is for use on the reptile. It works by drying out the skin and killing the mites. Be careful though the reptile relief bottle says not to use if the animal recently shed (i forget the timeline)

If the animal is in shed pull him out let him soak in a tub, some people put a drop of dish soap in the water. Him soaking will drown mites on him. Scrub your cage with a bleach/water mixture. The cage should just be bare essentials until the mites are gone. Paper towels for "substrate" a plastic hide box and a water bowl. When the PAM comes in remove the snake and spray down the enclosure. After you can no longer smell the spray ( I let it sit for about 20 minutes) you can put the snake back in.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)