Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,284

1 members and 3,283 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Hide Move and Heating Questions

So far everything with my new BP is going well. Temperature ranges are pretty decent, but the cool side keeps wanting to drop in the low 70s. Hot spot hasn't went above 93 since I have made some adjustments.

My questions are this....

1. My BP has taken to hiding in a tree hide I have provided. He has himself wedged in there pretty good, which makes it darn near impossible to see him (Thats the point of a hide, right? ) and get him out. He seems to like it, as he has been there for 3 days straight. Should I replace the hide with another hide in the same spot, or would that stress him out too much to take away where he feels safe? I just like being able to lift the hide and get him out for handling when needed, instead of trying to get him pry of a nice little wedge (Which I havent attempted yet).

2. Can I use another miniheat pad on the cool side that is thermostated to a lower temp than the hot side? The ambient air is fine, but I am having a hard time with the floor heat. I dont want to use a higher watt heat bulb, as I already have a problem with humidity staying up, and I think that will cook the hot side.

3. Can I use foil tape on the heatpads so that I dont have to stick it to the glass and then reuse them?

That's it for now. Sorry for all the questions, just trying to learn as much as possible and get it right.

Thanks.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    1- Is this a hide that he can get in but you cant get him out of? I would replace it if you cannot get to him in it. A picture might help.

2- Yes you ban use another heat source with stat to regulate your cool side.

3- foil tape is the best way to keep them movable to different habitats.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

MichGuy (01-16-2014)

Thanks

Re: Hide Move and Heating Questions

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    1- Is this a hide that he can get in but you cant get him out of? I would replace it if you cannot get to him in it. A picture might help.

2- Yes you ban use another heat source with stat to regulate your cool side.

3- foil tape is the best way to keep them movable to different habitats.

Below are a couple pictures of the 'offending' hide. Sometimes his head is visible, but most of the time he pulls himself all the way up into the top of the branch and I can only see a small coil of his body.

Since there is no 'top exit' the only way I can see of getting him out, is putting anything near his face, and I'd rather not stress him out by putting him on the defensive. The other hide is significantly bigger (getting a smaller one tonight) so I dont think he feels as safe in the other.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Ditch the hide AND both of those gauges.
    Get a digital gauge from wally world.

Thanks

Re: Hide Move and Heating Questions

Just as an update...

I now have two hydro farm thermostats (getting rid of the zilla). I have a digital thermometer under each hide as well as an electric hygrometer.

I have taken out the tree hide and the bulk rock hide and replaced it with two small cement hides and a bigger water dish.

The hot hide now stays around 88-91 and the cool hide is around 80-82. Humidity is at 60-70%.

Overall I think all is going well!

thanks for all the help so far!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MichGuy For This Useful Post:

NH93 (01-18-2014)

Thanks
    Sounds awesome!!

I saw that picture and thought... oh no... THE HIDEY LOG FROM HELL.
    I have heard of 8 too-many corns who got lost in those.
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger