Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,442

2 members and 3,440 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Sav Rescue Dilemma...need input

Hey Everyone,

I am trying to get some input here. I tend to get bored and look at the pet adds on CL from time to time. I found an add and this guy 2 miles away from me has two baby Sav Monitors that he is trying to "rehome". Out of curosity I contacted him to ask him about them and he gave me the following story..."I walked outside in my front yard and noticed my neighbor had a cage outside and was letting something loose, so I walked over and saw him trying to let these two little guys go, so I took them in." I thought ok cool someone trying to do something nice...but when I got there the story didn't add up, first he doesn't have a front yard its an apartment complex, second he doesn't even live there he is vacating and has to be out by the end of the month, so he has these two babies in a 4x2x2 glass cage with NO LID, on aspen bedding with a small water dish and plastic hide, and a heat lamp draped over the top hanging about 1 ft off the ground in the cage. He went on and on saying how this was a great setup and how they were such nice animals, but not for him. He said he has had them for 2 months, in that environent. Both of them are overweight, one of them has is missing half its tail and has a prolapsed cloaca that has dried up and is skin colored, and is very lethargic, the other one is still fiesty which seemed like a good sign. He said he is feeding them large mice every other day because that is what the "professionals at petco said to do". My question is do I try to take them in and get them healthy or at this point is it a lost cause. The lethargic one with the other issues I mentioned has me worried the most. I had mentioned trying to take them to a rescue or seeing if one of the local shops would take them in and he said its easier to sell them on CL, also if they aren't gone by the end of the month he doesn't know what he will do with them, which to me seem like either let them go or die. It was just really sad to see... Rant over.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks
    The dried up prolapse animal will likely have to be put down. I hate to say it, but that should have been addressed back when it was fresh.

do you have the animals? I'm trying my best to sort this out.

I will subscribe to this thread and stay in touch.

Regards,
    Wayne

Thanks

Re: Sav Rescue Dilemma...need input

Quote Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
    The dried up prolapse animal will likely have to be put down. I hate to say it, but that should have been addressed back when it was fresh.

do you have the animals? I'm trying my best to sort this out.

I will subscribe to this thread and stay in touch.

Regards,
    Wayne
    No I don't have the animals...They are in his empty apartment, i just saw them last night. He text me this morning asking if I had decided if I want him to take them, so he is eager to let them go. It just made me really sad/angry to see them in this state, and if there is anything I can do to help them I am more than willing. I also don't like the though of what happens if he doesn't sell them. I pointed out the prolapse to him and he said he didn't even notice it, so it is obvious that he wasn't really caring for them.
    Last edited by jclaiborne; 01-16-2014 at 03:15 PM.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks
    I think it may be best to take them to the vet and have them put down. The one without the prolapse may be a nice pet in time, but it sounds like they've been in substandard conditions for far too long. What does he want for them? It comes down to weighing that and the potential vet costs, deciding if it's worth it for you personally to put in the effort.

We see terrible rescue situations like this far too often in the hobby.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
    I think it may be best to take them to the vet and have them put down. The one without the prolapse may be a nice pet in time, but it sounds like they've been in substandard conditions for far too long. What does he want for them? It comes down to weighing that and the potential vet costs, deciding if it's worth it for you personally to put in the effort.

We see terrible rescue situations like this far too often in the hobby.
    He wants 30 dollars for them...which isn't a lot of money, however I don't know what vet costs would be like. I looked at their toes to see if there was swelling and if their eyes were sunken in, I didn't see any but they were pretty tiny so it was hard to tell. The "fiesty" one still let me pick him up he just huffed and hissed, I just was trying to get a close enough look. I really don't even know how old they are, he told me he had them for two months and from head to tail they were maybe 8 inches if that. The apartment had a strong weed smell so I'm sure they smoked around them quite a bit. It was just really sad. Part of me thinks if I could even save one it would be worth it, but I also don't want them suffering.
    Last edited by jclaiborne; 01-16-2014 at 03:26 PM.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS

Thanks

Was there any sign of infection in the tail stub of the feisty one? The smell is a concern too, if their respiratory systems are shot I'd be concerned...

Sent from my warm hide using Tapatalk
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
    Was there any sign of infection in the tail stub of the feisty one? The smell is a concern too, if their respiratory systems are shot I'd be concerned...

Sent from my warm hide using Tapatalk
    The one with the prolapse has the tail stub. It looked like it healed, wasn't red or swollen. The "fiesty" one just looked over weight, neither of them moved very fast he just visually looked healthier. I just wonder if they were put in the right conditions and fed properly they would bounce back. Other than the fact that the general concensus is the one with the prolapse is too far gone...
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS

Thanks

These pics are what he has online...it looked a lot worse in person

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS

Thanks
    This guy is crazy. I just contacted him asking if I could come pick them up this afternoon and he said he now wants 60 bucks for them!? I said one they are sick and need vet care and two healthy babies are generally 20-30 bucks around here. He said they are healthy...I just dont get it.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast