Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,467

3 members and 3,464 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Colubrids vs Boids - Intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    Eh. Snakes are all pretty stupid. As Neal stated, many colubrids are very inquisitive and visual....which makes them seem more intelligent. Again, being a colubrid doesn't qualify for special status - colubridae is nothing but a taxonomic dumping ground for snakes that haven't been properly classified.

If we are discussing qualities that mimic perceived intelligence; well then there are several species that combine inquisitiveness, general activity and an alert demeanor which make them seem like the mensas of the snake world when compared to lumps like ball pythons and boas.

Psammophilines (psammophis, psammophylax, rhamphiophis) are all very curious and active snakes - as well as visually stimulated. Same goes for the dispholidines (thrasops, rhamnophis, dispholidus, thelatornis).

Drymarchon are often claimed to be intelligent, but I have a few that are pretty dumb and ball-pythony. I also have a few that have acclimated well, are fairly interactive and seem interested in what's going it.

Hydrodynastes are also a species I would put in that class. Clelia are endearingly goofy, and most philodryas species are indiscriminate biting machines.

If you are interested in an intelligent reptile buy a tortoise of a heloderma. Our russian tortoise is like a dog and our heloderma each have individual personalities and are extremely interactive.
    While this information you provided was very insightful, the person you quoted was initially talking about a turtle, just in case there's any confusion. (We were going off-topic.)

Quote Originally Posted by cecilbturtle View Post
    Very interesting! Thank you! So are you saying that a turtle actually CAN recognize people or that they appear to be able to?
    That's, by far, what I've heard. (Link and link. I don't work with turtles so I can't provide that much insight beyond hearsay and educated guesses, but it's definitely something you should look into if you're interested.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Now in all honesty I think we link inquisitive with smartness. While I do believe and I'm sure studies somewhere along the line have showed that some snakes are smarter than others, most of us are all going to be biased, like I am towards my Rufous Beaked.

I did this just out of a test. If you're going to watch, then please watch the videos in the order that they're posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfnTqJkqE8Y
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5vURYRncDY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGOTD-LltFI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skwQygQ15LQ

thanks for these videos, pretty interesting to watch your rufous beaks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mikoh4792 For This Useful Post:

Neal (01-17-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikoh4792 View Post
    thanks for these videos, pretty interesting to watch your rufous beaks
    Anytim. They're awesome, and honestly they're my favorite snake.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

[QUOTE=Skiploder;2207375

"Drymarchon are often claimed to be intelligent"

If you are interested in an intelligent reptile buy a tortoise of a heloderma. Our russian tortoise is like a dog and our heloderma each have individual personalities and are extremely interactive.[/QUOTE]

Agreed lol
    I only have a pair of drym's and although alert and active they both seem kinda like idiot drunks a lot of the time.
    Our redfoot torts on the other hand have distinct personalities and definatly seem to have an intelligence to them. They for instance beg for food all the time.

Edit.
    I think that of all reptiles crocodilians would probably have to qualify as the most intelligent.
    Last edited by jason_ladouceur; 01-17-2014 at 01:59 PM.
    Visit us for all your housing needs http://www.herphouses.com/

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I don't understand why people say cobras are more intelligent.

I have 3 friends with King Cobras, and they've all said, there is nothing that they do that is different to any other defensive snakes they keep.

I think just because a cobra hoods, people attribute that to a higher intelligence.

I have snakes that watch me far more intensely than my cobras, for example my Bothrops asper's.

I've been keeping cobras for a few years now, and there is nothing I've noted that would make me think they're more intelligent than any other snake.

Not to mention it took my monocled cobra about 30 minutes, to work out she can't eat food sideways...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crotalids View Post

I have 3 friends with King Cobras, and they've all said, there is nothing that they do that is different to any other defensive snakes they keep.

I think just because a cobra hoods, people attribute that to a higher intelligence.

I have snakes that watch me far more intensely than my cobras, for example my Bothrops asper's.

I've been keeping cobras for a few years now, and there is nothing I've noted that would make me think they're more intelligent than any other snake.

Not to mention it took my monocled cobra about 30 minutes, to work out she can't eat food sideways...
    Someone, somewhere on the internet said it.

And then it spread like wildfire - through people who have never kept cobras.

Thanks

If you are interested in an intelligent reptile buy a tortoise of a heloderma. Our russian tortoise is like a dog and our heloderma each have individual personalities and are extremely interactive.
    I would LOVE to get a heloderma, I've lived in the right region most of my life but never seen one in the wild (and doubt I ever will), but hubby says real hots in the house are a no go.

It took one of my BPs 5 months to work that out, and the hoggie still hasn't...
    -Devon

0.1 Axanthic Bee (Pixel)
    0.2 Axanthic Pastel (Cornelia, Short Round)
    0.1 Axanthic (Bubbles)
    0.1 Bee het Axanthic (Nipper)
    0.1 Lesser (Lydia)
    0.1 het Lavender (Poppy)
    0.1 het Hypo (Cookie)
    1.0 Killerbee het Axanthic (Yellow Dude)
    1.0 Pied (Starry Starry Dude)
    1.0 Butter Hypo (Spooky Dude)
    1.0 PH Lavender (Little Dude)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Colubrids vs Boids - Intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by Badgemash View Post
    It took one of my BPs 5 months to work that out, and the hoggie still hasn't...
    Haha! Oh no, my monocled still does it, but I meant on one particular occasion she took 30 minutes to figure it out.

Someone, somewhere on the internet said it.

And then it spread like wildfire - through people who have never kept cobras.
    Indeed. Although, many keepers also seem to say it. But they're usually the ones whose favourite snake, is a cobra.

A quote from one of my friends who keeps 5 Kings is this: "Let’s compare the behaviour of my King to my Malayan pit Viper.

Both are wild-caught snakes. When I open their vivs, both will quickly become defensive and often rush out the vivarium at me.

The Malayan Pit Viper would feed on amphibs in the wild; the King would feed on snakes. Both have been 'tricked' into eating rodents.

Neither will take off the tongs, and prefer to have the food left in over night. They both hide away when in their vivariums, and both are highly aggressive when out of the vivariums.

I cant really think of any particular behaviour that really stands out with kings that shows a sign of intelligence."
    Last edited by Crotalids; 01-18-2014 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Lacking hands, brushes and paints my pits are able to create amazing poo portraits. If this isn't a sign of higher intelligence..

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

Badgemash (01-19-2014),NH93 (01-23-2014),Shann (01-18-2014),ViperSRT3g (01-18-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

I said if I would have to assume if you're referring to what I said. Also a monocoled cobra isn't the same as a king cobra. King Cobra's aren't Naja's but are Ophiophagus'. I've personally never dealt with them, but I know a guy who has one and I do spend some time admiring it every once in awhile and just it being more alert than other snakes which is why I said what I did. It's nothing to do with it being able to hood, which all it's doing in reality is flattening out that part of the body. In fact hooding I wouldn't even call a sign of intelligence, that's more or less it trying to appear bigger as to intimidate whatever they've encountered. A hooded cobra can only strike down as well, so if you were to go above it's head you could pat it on the head. I know this because I've done it before.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast