Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,307

2 members and 3,305 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Colubrids vs Boids - Intelligence

Let me just start off by saying I understand it's hard to define what intelligence is, and that each category has their own "most intelligent" snake(retics, indigos, king cobra...etc) but in general, under which category do you seem to find the "smartest" snakes?

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks
    I can't offer any input of my own, but I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. This sounds like an interesting subject.

Thanks
    I can only really speak for myself when I say, out of my two snakes - one corn and one ball - my corn has done much more seemingly intelligent things than my ball in the relatively short time I've had the both; about 5 months. These things include the corn putting just her stomach on her UTH following a feeding, pushing substrate in a hide with 2 openings to the one closest to the lightsource (blocking out light coming in), etc. So far I've only seen my ball python manipulate his hides, and push them around (although I don't know how intelligent this is)

Interesting post!
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NH93 For This Useful Post:

ViperSRT3g (01-16-2014)

Thanks

Re: Colubrids vs Boids - Intelligence

Like you said intelligence in snakes is hard to measure. Retics are by far the most "intelligent" boid I have ever worked with. They just seem to have a sense of things that others don't. They even seem to recognize there primary keeper and react differently to them then they do others. Most colubrids and elapids are more inquisitive then boids. I'm not sure if this is a sign of intelligence exactly or just a product of a different style of hunting then ambush hunters. I have noticed over the years though that most hots do seem to have a higher sense of self and tend to "learn" and attempt to exploit their keepers habits faster then your average boid or colubrid. There are of course exceptions to that on both sides of course though.
    Visit us for all your housing needs http://www.herphouses.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jason_ladouceur View Post
    Like you said intelligence in snakes is hard to measure. Retics are by far the most "intelligent" boid I have ever worked with. They just seem to have a sense of things that others don't. They even seem to recognize there primary keeper and react differently to them then they do others. Most colubrids and elapids are more inquisitive then boids. I'm not sure if this is a sign of intelligence exactly or just a product of a different style of hunting then ambush hunters. I have noticed over the years though that most hots do seem to have a higher sense of self and tend to "learn" and attempt to exploit their keepers habits faster then your average boid or colubrid. There are of course exceptions to that on both sides of course though.
    Retics are boids?

Agreed on the interesting thread part though! Great question......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thinkbig317 View Post
    Retics are boids?
    Historically Pythonidae was classified as a subfamily (Pythoninae) of Family Boidae, so kind of, close enough for the gist of this discussion anyway.

I do feel like my hognose is definitely more observant than my BPs (who all appear to have ADD), but I don't know if that really makes her more intelligent or just more focused.
    -Devon

0.1 Axanthic Bee (Pixel)
    0.2 Axanthic Pastel (Cornelia, Short Round)
    0.1 Axanthic (Bubbles)
    0.1 Bee het Axanthic (Nipper)
    0.1 Lesser (Lydia)
    0.1 het Lavender (Poppy)
    0.1 het Hypo (Cookie)
    1.0 Killerbee het Axanthic (Yellow Dude)
    1.0 Pied (Starry Starry Dude)
    1.0 Butter Hypo (Spooky Dude)
    1.0 PH Lavender (Little Dude)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Badgemash For This Useful Post:

jason_ladouceur (01-16-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Badgemash View Post
    Historically Pythonidae was classified as a subfamily (Pythoninae) of Family Boidae, so kind of, close enough for the gist of this discussion anyway.

I do feel like my hognose is definitely more observant than my BPs (who all appear to have ADD), but I don't know if that really makes her more intelligent or just more focused.
    They play dead by rolling over and sticking their tongue out of their mouth. They can release a pretty bad odor too. Then another thing they do is strike with their mouth closed.

Now the bad part is if one is playing dead and you flip him right up, he'll automatically flip back over. Which a dead snake wouldn't do
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Badgemash View Post

Ya old habits die hard I guess. I still call gtp's chondros to, probably always will.
    Visit us for all your housing needs http://www.herphouses.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thinkbig317 View Post
    Retics are boids?

Agreed on the interesting thread part though! Great question......
    all constrictors fall under the boid classification HOWEVER there is a sub classification of pythonidae and boidae and it is in this sub classification that we typically divide the species up most familiar to us in the pet trade and forums.
    1.1 Pinstripe - Orion/Eos
    1.1 Lessers - Typhon/Kali
    0.2 Dinkers - Stella & Wildfire
    1.0 Desert - No Name
    1.0 Het Red Axanthic - No name
    0.1 Woma- Cayenne
    0.1 Cinnamon- Nutmeg
    2.1 Mojave- No names
    1.0 Mystic- No Name
    0.1 Mahagony- No Name
    1.0 Black Pastel- No Name
    1.0 SD Tiger Retic- Thor
    0.0.1 Green Tree Python (Apollo)
    0.2 Labs- Daisy & Ruby

Thanks
    I know this isn't a snake but I kept a common snapping turtle years ago from the egg. I handled this turtle way more often than I have any other. When he reached about 4 inches he started to push his face into my hand when I'd pick him up. The first time he did this I didn't see it, only felt it. I thought it was his foot. When I looked down I was sure he was going to bite me. Instead he simply relaxed and went limp. He did this almost everytime I picked him up. If someone else picked him up he'd push his face into their hand and then struggle to be set free.

I highly doubt he recognized me although I'd like to really think he did. I really believe he learned he was safe based on how I handled him versus how others reacted to his "face bumps". I don't think this was a sign of intelligence but rather conditioning.
    "you only regret the risks in life you DON'T take."

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cecilbturtle For This Useful Post:

Bluebonnet Herp (01-16-2014),ViperSRT3g (01-16-2014)

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast