Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,391

2 members and 3,389 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Heat lamp timers

I am going on vacation for a week and want to know if timers are safe and ok for the snake and actually work right. I don't want a fire not it to stay on all day and not work right I have a heat pad under tank on one side and want to know if the heat lamp will work with timer so it keeps temp around 80-85 during day and 75 at night. If anyone has them what do you think about them. Thank you

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    I'm not sure I understand your question. If you're asking if timers are safe to use with heat lamps, then yes, they should be fine. I've used timers for my beardies' enclosures for the past 18 months with no issues (other than bulbs burning out, but that happens whether or not you use a timer ).

If you're asking if the timer will keep the temps right, then no, that's not its job. The timer will only turn whatever is plugged into it on and off at the set times. You should have a thermostat to keep the temps in the right range.

It would be best if you can get the timer a few days before you go on vacation, so you can get everything set up, and make sure it's working properly (turning the lamp on and off at the correct times) before you leave. Then you can also make sure that the temps are in the ranges you want.

I hope that helps!
    1.0 2013 Firefly
    1.0 2013 Black Pastel
    1.0 2013 Cinnamon
    0.1 2015 Leopard Butter Pastel
    0.1 2015 Stinger Bee
    0.1 2016 Pastel Pinstripe Disco Fire
    0.1 2015 Dumeril's Boa

Thanks
    I personally would suggest against a timer at all, as no night time drop is necessary... it can actually be a bad thing I have heard.
    If the lamp is sitting on top of the cage and the cage is level, it should be fine. If the mesh lid is wire and not plastic, it will not melt or be a real fire hazard. You can always tape it in place temporarily with foil tape (only), as it is quite strong and fire-resistant.
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

Thanks

Re: Heat lamp timers

Ya I wana see about using them if they not good and she is fine with just her pad under tank then I won't get one I just want the temps to be perfect for her when I am gone and it's a metal mesh lid not plastic so no melt will happen. Thank you

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2