Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,331

3 members and 3,328 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Will an RI happen if...

Quote Originally Posted by NH93 View Post
    Oh, thank you! I hadn't thought of the heat escaping that way... that is very helpful
    But DAMN I won't be living up to my Canadian stereotype now. Hehe.

In all seriousness. The cage was pre-assembled, and it is not screwed. I guess it is epoxied...
    The manufactorer said the PVC is 3/8" thick.
    http://pvccages.com/

I will try finding something else to raise the tank on! I did buy a new UTH for the occasion, and it of course comes with those little stickies, but I thought with all the cords and the 4ft. tank they wouldn't do the job.
    Well, do you know what I use as cage risers? Beer caps! Haha! Canadian eh

Your substrate will dry out and things should level out. I think you'll be able to turn down the t-stat a bit too once you eliminate some of the gap under the cage.

A note about under tank heaters. I NEVER stick them directly to cages. I peel off the backing, put the sticky side onto aluminum foil, and then use foil tape to secure the UTH to the cage. This way if you ever want to move it, you don't have to worry about trying to get the sticky mat off and risk damaging the internals (fire hazard)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SquamishSerpents For This Useful Post:

NH93 (01-13-2014)

Thanks

Re: Will an RI happen if...

Quote Originally Posted by SquamishSerpents View Post
    Well, do you know what I use as cage risers? Beer caps! Haha! Canadian eh

Your substrate will dry out and things should level out. I think you'll be able to turn down the t-stat a bit too once you eliminate some of the gap under the cage.

A note about under tank heaters. I NEVER stick them directly to cages. I peel off the backing, put the sticky side onto aluminum foil, and then use foil tape to secure the UTH to the cage. This way if you ever want to move it, you don't have to worry about trying to get the sticky mat off and risk damaging the internals (fire hazard)
    Don't worry, so do I!

I just got a new UTH because I didn't have one large enough for the ball python (he was in a much smaller tank before). I was able to reuse my corn snake's though, because she was in a 30 gal previously.

BEER CAPS. Love it.

An idea my partner had was also putting tin foil, reflective-side up, on top of the table below the UTH. I think I'll try that as well!
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

Thanks

Conclusion

Just to update, I ended up buying the largest UTH a local reptile shop had to offer, and put 3/4 of it on the ball python's side and 1/4 on the corns side, and plugged it in to the corn's thermostat. I swapped out most of the bark for aspen shavings, with of course a shed box.

Currently the ambient temp throughout is maintaining at 77F, but the bottom of the vive is ranging from the low 80's on the cool side to the mid-high 80's on the warm side (but that one is still rising slightly).

Interestingly, my BP is staying away from both heating pads :S maybe he prefers a cooler climate...
    Last edited by NH93; 01-17-2014 at 12:09 AM.
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12