Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,303

4 members and 3,299 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Buying frozen online

So I went to price frozen from big cheese and Laveyne (sp?) labs.

How much space do pups and pinkies take up in the freezer? It would be nice not to make an hour plus round trip for mice, but shipping is around 45 dollars for me! When I went with one place ( I think big cheese) they said I had 75% space left for more mice. My husband doesn't want to fill our freezer with rodents though.

Plus I don't want my corn and bp to grow out of the size before I'm done using them. Will they take up my whole freezer if I fill my shipment too the max and how fast will a 155 ball and 23 gram corn grow into the the next food size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Buying frozen online

And thanks for all of your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Buying frozen online

I buy mine from Layne Labs. The quality is always good. Their site lists rodents with a weight range so following the 10- 15% rule for a young BP is easier to figure out.

A bag of 100 Med/Large pinkies is only $12.00 right now and is only about 4 x 8 inches and a couple inches thick. My kids have a couple small corn snakes very close to yours in size and they take two pinkies at each feeding. As they get a little bigger I will give them three until the bag is done, probably in the next month or so. I already have hoppers ready to go for them. A bag of 50 hoppers doesn't take up much room either.

A bag of 25 rat pups is maybe 10" x 12" and 2 -3 inches thick, so not very big. A bag of 25 pups is $30.00. I move my BP's into weanling rats when they get to be about 300+ grams again following the 10 - 15% rule. I feed my BP's every 5 days until they get to 500 grams and then move them up to every 7 days. You may want to get a bag of weanling rats as well to save on shipping later. 25 of them are $38.75. The bag of these is only slightly bigger than a bag of pups.

Don't worry about the percentage of the box is still empty message. Of course they want you to fill up a box, but I wouldn't keep so many that you run the risk of freezer burn after six or eight months of storage, especially with only two snakes. Maybe someone on here can advise how long they have kept their rodents fresh in the freezer. With 12 snakes I only plan for about a six month supply and then reorder.

While the shipping seems high, it is by far cheaper in the long run compared to buying rodents at local pet stores. Mice typically run $1 to $2, and I have seen rat pups as high as $3.50 in the pet stores near me.

Good luck!
    0.1 Desert Yellowbelly BP | 0.1 Yellowbelly BP
    0.1 Pastel BP | 1.0 Super Pastel BP
    0.1 Champagne Het Hypo BP | 0.1 Spider BP
    0.1 Lesser BP | 0.1 Pinstripe BP
    1.0 Caramel Albino BP
    1.0 Butter BP | 1.0 Pied BP
    1.0 Cinna Bee BP | 1.0 Albino BP,
    2.1 normal BP's
    2.1 Western Hognose Het albino | 1.0 Western Hognose Albino Het Axanthic
    1.0 Anaconda phase Western Hognose
    1.0 BCI Boa |0.1 Hypo Het Snow Boa