Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,460

2 members and 2,458 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Re: Cloud, Colombian BCI

Cloud hates being put in the bucket when it comes time to wet his bedding. Usually, he behaves and just sits there once I get him in the bucket, but last night he just kept slowly creeping out of the bucket so I had to set the lid on it. (I didn't latch it shut just set it on top.)

Then he behaved and just hid his face.

I swear he keeps taking up more and more space in his weighing tub and this bucket but every time I stretch him out he comes out to 6'3". And he's not gaining girth, either. :/ It's a quandary.

Just chilling before returning him to his enclosure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Gio (12-23-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Looks to be a lovely guy
    Can you explain further please .. as regards soaking the bedding and the relevance id the bucket .. I'm kinda intrigued

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Looks to be a lovely guy
    Can you explain further please .. as regards soaking the bedding and the relevance id the bucket .. I'm kinda intrigued

Yeah here's a video link on what exactly I do. I've just changed the size of the container I use, become more confident in guessing how much I need to dump to get my desired dampness, and started aiming for a slightly damper bedding right after dumping.

http://youtu.be/1O-JNnS6XfM

During the summer, when his heat sources aren't working hard, I only have to do this once every 1-2 weeks, and during the summer I do it twice a week to once every other week, depending.

I let his bedding go through cycles, and wait for the bedding to completely dry out before I repeat the process. Doing this, I've completely eliminated any and all vertical stripes (the bent scales you see when they curl up), and made maintaining humidity incredibly easy on myself. At most, he gets some lines under his eyes when the bedding is at its driest.

This method can take some learning to get the dampness level right at first, but basically you want to aim for light fluffy bedding that barely feels wet to the touch. If any water squeezes out and it feels/looks like a swamp, you've got it wrong. That's why I like doing it in portions; if I get it wrong I just mix some dry bedding in until it's the way I want it.

8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")

Thanks

Oh yeah and as a warning:

In my experience this method of providing humidity does not work in belly heat set ups. The heat pad/heat tape simply does not warm the bedding enough for it to release moisture before it molds.

3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    He still looks great. Cloud is probably an inch or two longer than Sniper.

I really like what you have done with his diet and conditioning.

He is really lean and looks strong!

I also found your youtube channel.

I'm going to take a peak at your other pets too LOL!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    He still looks great. Cloud is probably an inch or two longer than Sniper.

I really like what you have done with his diet and conditioning.

He is really lean and looks strong!

I also found your youtube channel.

I'm going to take a peak at your other pets too LOL!
    I don't post much, but feel free to! I still have some videos I need to upload as well.

3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

Thanks
    Cloud is almost ready to come out of his winter fast! He would be eating this week, but he's gone into shed, so he won't be getting his rabbit until he's done. I think I'll be feeding him rabbits before and after his fast from now on, to bolster him for his fast and to help recover. I may also offer rabbits every other feeding throughout his feeding period, not sure yet.

Here are some pictures of him with my mom's Nikon!

He really enjoys Bucket Snake Time...not. lol But unfortunately, uncontained snakes tend to get in trouble during bedding maintenance, so in the bucket he goes.

Tail close-up:

At first I wasn't sure he was going into shed, but now I am! haha I've gotten pretty good at predicting the onset of my non-albino snakes' sheds.

3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

Thanks
    Well my suspicions have finally been proven! He HAS grown. I stretched him out earlier, and he came out to 6'5". So he's only an inch short of 6.5' now, and he's grown 2" since November 2014. Not much, but he's still growing.

Here are some catch up photos!

Deep in blue, from before his first meal of the year, he's eaten a second time now, so these are a month old at least.

He got some permanent plastic RBI hides, so I could finally ditch the cardboard! I may get him one or two more, though, because they don't take up much space at all.

Eating his second meal of the year. This was the smallest remaining rabbit I've got, the others are 7-9 ounces, so bigger than I feel comfortable feeding him when I've got large rats. So, the rest of the rabbits will go to River now that she's big enough and Cloud will get the rest of the rats. My father is going to breed his rabbits again soon, but if Cloud runs out of the rats before they're old enough I'll order another pack.

And a full body shot to show his body tone.

3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

cristacake (04-07-2016)

Thanks
    Cloud went into shed again recently. A week before his next feeding day, he went blue. :/ So far no sign of anymore length growth, so I'm probably going to wait until July or August to measure him again.

3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

Thanks
    Cloud got to go outside a few days ago, and he seemed to enjoy it. At least he was active and inquisitive. He didn't try to hide, just kinda checked everything out. I tried to get some full body shots but the lighting wasn't good for that, he just turned out dark like a shadow, so I'll try to get more next time I take him out.

3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast