Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,310

1 members and 3,309 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

What are signs of respiratory problems. Plus my 1.6 year old ball hasn't eaten in 2.5

Not to big of a issue right now but he hasn't eaten in 2.5 months. My humidity was low and temperature around 80. I have heard a sound like air escaping from him a couple times lately. This is concerning and this next weekend looking at taking him into the vet. Any advice or opinions tell then. Looking for positive input not negative, thanks!
    1.0.0 '12 Normal Python, Creeper
    0.0.1 '12 Bearded Dragon, Alex Stalker
    0.1.0 '13 Lemon Blast, Rose
    0.1.0 '14 Pastel Lesser Het. Orange Ghost, no name

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Signs are:
    1) Popping, wheezing, or whistling sound - this is mucous in the air way
    2) Mucous or bubbles in the mouth and nose

Bump up your temps. Ambient should be around 80 and a hot spot of around 90. And since you're worried about RI, bump the hot spot to 95.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Effinch (01-13-2014)

Thanks

Re: What are signs of respiratory problems. Plus my 1.6 year old ball hasn't eaten in

I haven't seen any any liquid we he/she opens the mouth. Don't hear the other signs. Has some flaky scales so trying to keep the humidity up a little. Just moved him into a bigger hide so we'll see how that works. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Another sign is "star gazing". Aka looking up.
    Snakes who have RI often lift their up upward to allow them to breathe better.

If he has some flaky scales, it could just be some stuck skin rattling when he is breathing since you said you did hear something earlier.
    Just keep an eye on the snake. It could just be nothing.

Thanks

Re: What are signs of respiratory problems. Plus my 1.6 year old ball hasn't eaten in

If your having trouble with humidity, you should get some moss and wet it and squeeze it in your hand then put it in his hide, should help since he should be in there most of the time anyway then just mist it good when you do your spraying
    . And you need to bump up the temps, or they wont digest there prey right and not get nutrients. The not eating could be because of bad husbandry and not feeling secure. If he's in a aquarium type, cover the back and sides, add another hide if you only have one, and just clutter it up a little with decorations you like.
    Last edited by kylearmbar; 01-13-2014 at 03:19 AM.
    0.2 normal, 1.0 Butter, 1.1 Fire, 1.0 Pastel, 0.1 Spider, .1 Pastel Het Clown

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kylearmbar View Post
    If your having trouble with humidity, you should get some moss and wet it and squeeze it in your hand then put it in his hide, should help since he should be in there most of the time anyway then just mist it good when you do your spraying
    . And you need to bump up the temps, or they wont digest there prey right and not get nutrients. The not eating could be because of bad husbandry and not feeling secure. If he's in a aquarium type, cover the back and sides, add another hide if you only have one, and just clutter it up a little with decorations you like.
    No stargazing yet. I do have moss though haven't used it in a while. Thank for the advise guys. Again hope he feels better before the weekend. I do have to say that this forum has been very helpful since I've been on here.