Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,332

2 members and 3,330 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Account Disabled
    Thanks

Ball with six scales between eyes instead of four? Question about scar/skin flap.

I just noticed my butter girl has six scales between her eyes instead of four, is this normal? All the pics I've seen where I could count those scales there were always four. Also,(unrelated topic, same snake) about three months ago she escaped and my cat and I got to her at the same time, he was about to pounce and I couldn't grab him, only my snakes tail, so I pulled her away but my cat got a scratch in, skinning a small part of her neck(I think it was only the epidermis). While it was healing I tried to get the flap to heal back into place but the sides just attached to each other and healed that way. Now, after about three sheds she has a scarred over area that appears to be trying to regrow scales and a living skin flap( I know it's living because it's shed three times since it detatched and she flinches when I pinch it). The flap gets a little thinner with each shed but dosent seem to be dying or anything. Other than the flap it's healed nicely and sheds fine. Should I cut it off or just leave it be?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well, I certainly wouldn't cut off living flesh. Since you say it is improving with each shed, I'd just let nature take its course.

I'm not sure about the thing with the scales.
    Casey

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kc261 For This Useful Post:

Badgemash (01-13-2014)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Ball with six scales between eyes instead of four? Question about scar/skin flap.

Quote Originally Posted by TurkeyPython View Post
    I just noticed my butter girl has six scales between her eyes instead of four, is this normal? All the pics I've seen where I could count those scales there were always four. Also,(unrelated topic, same snake) about three months ago she escaped and my cat and I got to her at the same time, he was about to pounce and I couldn't grab him, only my snakes tail, so I pulled her away but my cat got a scratch in, skinning a small part of her neck(I think it was only the epidermis). While it was healing I tried to get the flap to heal back into place but the sides just attached to each other and healed that way. Now, after about three sheds she has a scarred over area that appears to be trying to regrow scales and a living skin flap( I know it's living because it's shed three times since it detatched and she flinches when I pinch it). The flap gets a little thinner with each shed but dosent seem to be dying or anything. Other than the flap it's healed nicely and sheds fine. Should I cut it off or just leave it be?
    I definitely wouldn't cut anything off. If you think it needs to be addressed like that, I would take her to a vet.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Ball with six scales between eyes instead of four? Question about scar/skin flap.

Quote Originally Posted by 200xth View Post
    I definitely wouldn't cut anything off. If you think it needs to be addressed like that, I would take her to a vet.
    Agreed! If you are not a vet yourself do NOT attempt surgery.

Registered User The Flying Henry's Avatar
    Thanks
    Far as the scale counting, there will always be variance from specimen to specimen...I wouldn't worry about that.
    "The Kipper is due."
    "Who cares? This is good cocoa!"

1.2.0 Python regius
    3.3.0 Heterodon nasicus

Currently rebuilding collection...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Henry View Post
    Far as the scale counting, there will always be variance from specimen to specimen...I wouldn't worry about that.
    Actually, the number & pattern of scales is one way of identifying different species of snakes. That is one way of identifying hybrids also...if they look like a certain species, but their scalation (is that a word?) more closely resembles a different species. Or at least I see people on various snake forums talking about this, so I assume it is true.
    Casey

Registered User The Flying Henry's Avatar
    Thanks
    Indeed! I wouldn't buy a western hognose, for example, without counting. Too many hybrid hognose (western and Mexican) being sold nowadays.

I only meant that sometimes these are "fragmented" and the scale divides when it should have been one piece. I've had a few hognose born with these variations. They mostly retain the shape nature intended, aside from the divide. Most folks wouldn't even notice. Or maybe I just stare at my animals too much, LOL...

Sorry, I should have elaborated! I'm tired. Hope that made more sense!
    "The Kipper is due."
    "Who cares? This is good cocoa!"

1.2.0 Python regius
    3.3.0 Heterodon nasicus

Currently rebuilding collection...

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kc261 View Post
    Well, I certainly wouldn't cut off living flesh. Since you say it is improving with each shed, I'd just let nature take its course.

I'm not sure about the thing with the scales.
    Yeah, I figured. I wouldn't really want to do that either. But I can't take her to the vet because the only one within 2 hours of here is a complete idiot and no good at all. He doesn't even know the difference between a sulcata and a Greek tortoise.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Henry View Post
    Indeed! I wouldn't buy a western hognose, for example, without counting. Too many hybrid hognose (western and Mexican) being sold nowadays.

I only meant that sometimes these are "fragmented" and the scale divides when it should have been one piece. I've had a few hognose born with these variations. They mostly retain the shape nature intended, aside from the divide. Most folks wouldn't even notice. Or maybe I just stare at my animals too much, LOL...

Sorry, I should have elaborated! I'm tired. Hope that made more sense!
    yeah, I get what you mean. The scales above her eyes are normal but she has four instead of two between them. They don't look like divided scales, this is what confused me.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Can we see pictures?
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

Can we see pictures?
    I have pictures of the scar uploaded to my gallery but my iPod wont let me copy/paste the URL. I'll try later on my computer. I don't have any pictures of the scales though because my iPod cam isn't worth a hoot and my phone cam won't pick up things close up. But with the scales is kinda like this. X is the position of the eye. The head is looking upwards.

X()0°°0()X
    Last edited by dr del; 01-14-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast