Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,342

0 members and 3,342 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: weird or not???

Thanks

weird or not???

Have any of u ever seen ur bp not strike ? I dropped a rat in on one of bps huts and the rat went walking around .. it walked over my boy n fell in between him and he just coiled it up .. I've never seen that b4 .. I've seen plenty of rats/mice walk over my snakes b4 but never seen them just coil up like that ...
    1.1 het pied ,1.1 pastel,1. butter, .1 spider , .1 fire ph ghost , .1 pastave

Thanks

Re: weird or not???

I've got a big male that does it once in a while. He'll coil when he feels the rat, and if he doesn't find a spot to bite right away then he won't. I just have to make sure the rat's head isn't in biting proximity for a few seconds.

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk
    TheSnakeGuy

- Python Regius -
    1.0 Spider Mojave - "Tweak"
    0.1 Mystic Pastel - "Oracle"

Wish List . . . .someday
    Lavender Albino Pied(Dreamsicle) Ball Python
    2. Albino Burmese Python
    3. Mystic Potion Ball Python(Breeders)

Thanks
    The first time I ever encountered feeding my cinnamon ball she did the same thing, at first we thought she just couldn't tell that it was even with her in the cage. But after a minute of it exploring its seemingly friendly habitat, it was obvious she knew her company was dinner. This was either the stupidest, friendliest, most hopeful feeder rat I have ever seen or he just had some nerve. He went right up to her, sniffed her nose and bopped her on the head. Needless to say, he got a good last hurrah I suppose because a split second later, they were both across the cage in a feeding bundle.

Since then we have switched to frozen mice, for safety reasons, but she really doesn't seem to care for them. Just this week we bought her a freshly killed rat but she would have nothing to do with it for at least a couple hours. She acted like it was a couch, more or less. Contemplating making the switch back.

Thanks

Today my ball tried eating a rat like it was an apple and SLOWLY and nonchalantly opened it's mouth and shimmied it's jaws around the rats
    face. (for some reason the rat did not freak out about this) then coiled up the rat slowly and suffocated him. Then the rat finally freaked out and it was a wrestling match. But, weirdest thing I've ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Not weird. Very common. How old is it? How long have you had it? Did it always eat live? Sometimes they just arent hungry. I had a ball that randomly ate. I tried everything. sometimes he would be afraid of his food and sometimes he'd almost jump out of his tub for food. I offered food very regularly.

I would only worry about leaving a live feeder in too long.
    "you only regret the risks in life you DON'T take."

Thanks
    Mine does the same. Sometimes he strikes and coils around the rat, other times he just finds it's head and starts eating Usually the zombie dance makes him strike, but not always, and he never strikes if I just lay the rat down. He just finds the rats head and starts eating

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jxl View Post
    Mine does the same. Sometimes he strikes and coils around the rat, other times he just finds it's head and starts eating Usually the zombie dance makes him strike, but not always, and he never strikes if I just lay the rat down. He just finds the rats head and starts eating
    Mine will do this with a f/t feeder. I've never seen it with a live one though.

Thanks
    Yea never seen any of mine just start eating without coiling ... f/t or live
    1.1 het pied ,1.1 pastel,1. butter, .1 spider , .1 fire ph ghost , .1 pastave

Thanks

That is pretty common I'd say! Some snakes might not have that drive right away - or at all.
    If your snake is eating, then there is no concern. Although if it is a live rat, you'll want to really watch and make sure there are no injuries/bites/attacks going on from the rat.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by NH93; 01-17-2014 at 02:58 PM.
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger