Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,295

3 members and 3,292 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

nippy ball python

today i came home and was spot checking my snakes when i got to my new spider ball python who is normaly a super shy was sitting on his hide i kindly moved him to his other hide and was picking up the other when he struck at me and same as i was placing it back down its been since monday i feed him a hopper was it in defence or just because he was hungry any help will be great

Thanks
    first: punctuations. a few dots help a lot. im quite anarchistic when it comes to style, but somehow i get away with it with punctuations and paragraphs ^^

then: i guess your BP was hungry and somehow expected food. thats a common reason for a BP to tag you.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

Thanks

Re: nippy ball python

Not much to go on without some more information. How much does your spider weigh? A hopper is likely too small for it. Even a young BP can usually take a rat pup with ease.

How often are you feeding?

Are your Viv temps/humidty correct?
    0.1 Desert Yellowbelly BP | 0.1 Yellowbelly BP
    0.1 Pastel BP | 1.0 Super Pastel BP
    0.1 Champagne Het Hypo BP | 0.1 Spider BP
    0.1 Lesser BP | 0.1 Pinstripe BP
    1.0 Caramel Albino BP
    1.0 Butter BP | 1.0 Pied BP
    1.0 Cinna Bee BP | 1.0 Albino BP,
    2.1 normal BP's
    2.1 Western Hognose Het albino | 1.0 Western Hognose Albino Het Axanthic
    1.0 Anaconda phase Western Hognose
    1.0 BCI Boa |0.1 Hypo Het Snow Boa
    0.1 Hypo Boa | ​0.1 Hogg Island Boa
    0.1 Striped Borneo Short Tailed Python
    0.0.1 Jayapura GTP

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    You could've startled him and it was a mistake or he was hungry.

If he is a baby, then it's relatively normal for them to strike. It's a vulnerable age for them since they're so small. They usually outgrow the 'nippy stage'.

Thanks

Re: nippy ball python

the temp on the hot spot is 90 with the warm side at 85 and roping down to about 75 80 at night with 55 humidity and feed once a week on monday
    Last edited by JOKERMAN; 01-12-2014 at 03:03 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperSRT3g View Post
    When Feeding
    If I am feeding my snake, I don't touch them prior to warming up the food. Once food is warming up, (I feed F/T) the snake gets no contact unless absolutely necessary. This allows them to concentrate on the food that they can begin to smell pretty quickly. After that I feed with a pair of tongs and dangle it in front of his face so he can strike it.

When Handling
    If I want to handle my snake, I tap on the top of his hide a few times to let him know that his hide is about to come off slowly. After lifting the hide off of him slow and steady, I give him a few rubs on his side to let him know it's me and that he's about to be picked up. From there he's all excited and will begin to explore the place. (I need some sort of snake pen for him lol)

These actions (or lack thereof) establishes behavior conditioning, allowing a sort of pre-command to let them know what is happening before any action takes place. This reduces their confusion, and results in a more behaved, and less confused snake. This means there will be far less cage aggression as they will know when it's feeding time and when it's petting time.

Some tips that I've posted elsewhere on the forums.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ViperSRT3g For This Useful Post:

KryptBaby (01-13-2014)