Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,397

2 members and 3,395 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Heat and humidity troubles

I've been trying to get the temps and humidity just right but I've been having a bit of a hard time. I use a UTH which sits under his hide and is attached to the thermostat. The thermostat probe is attachd to the UTH on the outside. The problem I'm having is that ill set the thermostat to 90, yet the digital thermometer probe which sits in the warm hide will read 78 or so. I find myself having to turn the thermostat to 100 for his warm hide to be @ around 90. The humidity right now reads 73, I just misted the enclosure and soaked the moss. He still seems to be dehydrated and gets pale in color. Then I soak him for a few minutes and his color brightens and he looks 10 times better. He is almost done shedding I'm just trying to figure out his temps and humidity. Any advice would help.

Thanks

Re: Heat and humidity troubles

Quote Originally Posted by Alx View Post
    I use a UTH which sits under his hide and is attached to the thermostat. The thermostat probe is attachd to the UTH on the outside.
    So where exactly is the thermostat probe? It should be bewtween the UTH and the glass. Then, you'd have to have a thermometer probe (I use an acurite dual digital thermometer) on top of the glass so you know how hot the glass is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks

Smile Re: Heat and humidity troubles

The Thermostat probe is on the outside of the UTH (not inbetweeb the tank and the UTH) idk if the UTH would get ruined by removing it to place the probe between the tank and glass? And the digital thermometer probe should be ON the glass? I just placed it beneath the bedding but not directly on the glass. The bedding is thinned out. I assumed I'd want the temp on the bedding where the snake lays, should I place the probe directly on the glass?

Thanks
    Thermostat probe should be sandwiched between the UTH and the bottom of the tank. Are you only using a UTH as a heat source? Remember these all provide a substrate temperature and don't raise ambient temps. Most people use ceramic heat emitters in conjunction with UTHs . As I do

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    You can tape the thermostat probe to the bottom of the mat as long as you have the thermometer probe inside the tank.
    Yes, you can damage the mat trying to remove it, this is why people use foil tape on them to cover the glue surface so it cant stick to anything and then foil tape along the edge to stick it to the tank.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

thejenius77 (01-13-2014)

Thanks

My thermostat probe is taped to the bottom of the UTH, since my UTH was already in place. This is fine. Place your thermometer probe right on the glass, under his hide on the hot side. Right over the center of the UTH.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    You can tape the thermostat probe to the bottom of the mat as long as you have the thermometer probe inside the tank.
    I wouldn't recommend doing this. If you put the thermostat probe on the bottom of the mat, you wouldn't be getting the true temperature of the heat mat.

Just peal part of the heat mat and sandwich the probe between the glass and the mat. Then like Pit said, use foil tape around the heat mat.

1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Misha View Post
    I wouldn't recommend doing this. If you put the thermostat probe on the bottom of the mat, you wouldn't be getting the true temperature of the heat mat.
    That's what the no contact thermometer is for.
    Even if you set your stat for 95 degrees, more than likely you will still not be at 95 degrees on your spot.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

thejenius77 (01-13-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Misha View Post

Just peal part of the heat mat and sandwich the probe between the glass and the mat. Then like Pit said, use foil tape around the heat mat.

You use the two in conjunction to dial in the correct setting for the UTH thermostat.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    That's what the no contact thermometer is for.
    Even if you set your stat for 95 degrees, more than likely you will still not be at 95 degrees on your spot.
    I personally prefer acurite thermometers with a probe on the hot spot because usually the hot spot is under a hide so you would have to move the hide in order to check the temps.

I agree that it's not spot on sometimes but it's definitely a lot closer. I guess at this point it's just a personal preference.
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)