Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,338

2 members and 3,336 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

My idea for a humid hide

So I wanted to make a humid hid for my little guy since he's starting to turn blueish. Im keeping the humidity 45-60% right now but i heard humid hides help, so I came up with this cheap idea. Mason jar with damp moss, what do y'all think? I apologize if this has been seen before, I've gone through many pages and didn't see anything like this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mike_yorkpa For This Useful Post:

thejenius77 (01-11-2014)

Thanks
    I think its cheap, yet would be very effective. You can make a whole line of them from smaller to larger jars! Very nice.
    I've got quite a few...

Thanks
    Four things I can see with it is; first that it would have virtually no airflow other than the lid end, resulting in bacterial growth. It would be very easily cleaned though. Second is that you can see the snake which means he can see you within the hide, balls like to hide to feel secure. Third would be that the glass probably won't feel very comfortable slithering across to the snake. The Fourth ......Well the mason jar is making me darn thirsty . For humid hides I use extra worn out USMC covers that I still have from when I was in the service stuffed with moss. Grant it that they require frequent cleaning. I imagine you can use ball caps and flatten out the bill a bit to make a small opening.
    Last edited by winglesshornet; 01-10-2014 at 11:56 PM.

Thanks

Re: My idea for a humid hide

Quote Originally Posted by winglesshornet View Post
    Three things I can see with it is; first that it would have virtually no airflow other than the lid end, resulting in bacterial growth. It would be very easily cleaned though. Second is that you can see the snake which means he can see you within the hide, balls like to hide to feel secure. Third would be that the glass probably won't feel very comfortable slithering across to the snake. However the mason jar is making me darn thirsty For humid hides I use extra worn out USMC covers that I still have from when I was in the service stuffed with moss. Grant it that they require frequent cleaning. I imagine you can use ball caps and flatten out the bill a bit to make a small opening.
    I thought about that a little while ago, drilled some holes in the top and sides. Also I put it towards the back with a half type log over it and covered it pretty well, although he's really not into his hides, he likes to be in the open. i figured it would work until i can get a better one
    Last edited by mike_yorkpa; 01-10-2014 at 11:59 PM.

Thanks
    perfectly fine. i mean, its transparent, so, not really a hiding place, but if the snake desnt mind because it feels secure in the enclosure anyway, then thats not an issue.

about bacterial growth: the moss is actually wet. you make it wet before you put it in. so the humidity in the air is completely meaningless for the bacteria in the moss. the reasoning doesnt really make sense, it would be like saying that inside a pond, its more humid when its raining and less humid on a dry day. the fish would disagree until the pond actually dries out.

so, how many holes you put in only affects how fast the hide dries out and how humid the air inside will be.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

Thanks
    Wont this just roll around all over?

Thanks

Only problem I see and I've come across the same problem is, if your snake goes in and doesn't want to come out. There is no way to open a top or bottom have so you'll poking around trying to pull him/her out with a finger. Not a huge deal but when I tried something similar mine pooped in there and it was difficult for me to get her out without touching the poop.

Goodluck

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tpkaos For This Useful Post:

Badgemash (01-11-2014),thejenius77 (01-11-2014)

Thanks
    Honestly, I really don't see a problem with this. It is transparent, yes, but you could always put some substrate overtop it or something. There seems to be a large enough opening for airflow that I don't see an issue with it. If you need to get your snake out... for whatever reason... just tip the jar, let her/him slide down, and there ya go! Glass is very sanitary as well, so I don't see how it would be an issue for the snake (as in, being uncomfortable or anything). Over time I think there would be bacterial build-up in any wet/damp moss, no matter the conditions.

Creative use of a jar best of luck!
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

Thanks

Its a square jar so it doesn't roll, and I covered it so it wasn't just clear. However he is still not interested in any type of hide, he sits on top of his one hide under the light that keeps the cool side at 75-85. Ive never once seen him on the warm side by the UTH at 90-93.

Thanks
    Are you sure the temp is correct under the hides? I had to put a temp probe under the hide on the hot side to find it was 120 since I have now moved it around its a solid 90 and he uses it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast