Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,090

2 members and 1,088 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux

Thread: Live plants

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Live plants

Is there a guide for what type of live plants are safe for BPs? I like the idea of some to help retain humidity in a tank. Thanks!

Thanks
    They aren't often recommended, just because BPs tend to destroy them pretty quickly, haha. They also harbor bacteria, which isn't a great plan.

If you wanted to do a planted terrarium, amphibians work well in a setup like that, and I think maybe cresties too, although don't take my word on that, I don't work with them.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Live plants

You know, I was wondering about that! Oliver was moving all over his fake vines yesterday, and is was trying to imagine how a potted, live, plant would manage. Maybe if it was in a place the snake doesn't normally explore?

Thanks

Re: Live plants

I personally haven't done, but I think there are folks around that have. My little one climbs her ferns to no end in the evenings when she's active, and my Nessie has a habit of pooping in her vines, so the fake ones are easier to clean. To me personally, a live plant would be more maintenance than its worth. Are you having trouble with humidity specifically?

Sent from my warm hide using Tapatalk
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Thanks
    This might sound silly, but what about having a section of the vive just decked out in sphagnum moss? Either just the bottom or ontop of hides and whatnot, then add felt plants (or the more real-looking plants) all over so it gives the illusion that they're all real, while only the moss is?
    The moss holds a tonne of moisture as well, so it's great for keeping uo the humidity!

It's the only thing I can think of that won't end with crushed plants

Best of luck! Feel free to post a photo of the end result, too!
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

Thanks
    I'm on a mission to find plants that will work in a cage. So far, this is the only one I've got in there.

It's a bromeliad, which is safe for snakes to be around. It's an air plant, so it doesn't take root, and can be pushed around all the snake wants. It only needs to be misted once every other week, so misting the cage is enough to keep it living. It's about 8-10" in diameter, and can support the weight of my snake, though she's only 250g right now. She loves to crawl through the leaves/blades/whatever.

I've only had it in there a few weeks now, but if it works out, I'll try some other similar plants.