Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,291

3 members and 3,288 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Skunks as pets? I want one!

I really, really want to get a skunk but I'm not familiar with the husbandry. So I have a list of questions for members who own one or have first hand knowledge of those adorable little critters.

1. Cat friendly?
    2. Litter box trained?
    3. Destructive?
    4. Aggression?
    5. Socialization?
    6. Scent/Odor?

That's all I can think of for now, I appreciate all your input.

Thanks, guys!

1.1 Piebald
    1.0 Caramel
    1.0 Jigsaw
    0.1 Bumblebee, het. VPI Ax
    0.1 VPI Axanthic
    1.0 Lesser

Thanks

Re: Skunks as pets? I want one!

There not legal as pets in every state. Im pretty sure that they de scent them if they'll be selling them as pets thats about all the help i can offer hope someone else can help you out more

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    1.1yellow belly
    1.0 desert enchi
    1.0 pastel
    1.0 het russo
    1.0 lemon pastel
    0.1 spider
    2.0 normal

1.0 striped corn
    0.1.0 normal corn

1.0 columbian rianbow boa
    1.0 super hypo bci

0.2 leopard geckos

0.1.0 water dragon

Thanks
    I believe Florida is one of the places they are legal, if I'm not mistaken. I have an internet friend who lives down there, I believe hers is named Nyx. From what I hear she is very well-behaved, and also spayed and descented, so she hardly has a smell at all. The one thing I wouldn't be sure of is cat-friendly. That may depend on the temperament of the animal, and exposure to cats from a young age.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Thanks

I have wanted one my entire life!! My Mom, then my husband of 20 years were completely against it. My fiancé agreed as long as its descented!! Of course it would be. I'm not going to get it until we unto we have our own house though. So I have time to prepare and have more room.

Thanks

Fortunately live in Florida, so I don't have to worry about any oppressive, nanny state regulations.

1.1 Piebald
    1.0 Caramel
    1.0 Jigsaw
    0.1 VPI Axanthic
    1.0 Lesser

BPnet Senior Member Marissa@MKmorphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 783 Posts

I work at a pet store and we get skunks in every year. This year we got 3 and still have 1 left. I have been caring for him daily for about 8 months.

1. Cat friendly? Every animal is different, but I have heard of people who are able to have skunks in cats in the same area/room, but don't expect them to be friendly towards each other.

2. Litter box trained? Very easy to litter train as they use a corner instinctually. Hardest part will be figuring out where that corner will be.

3. Destructive? Very! They are diggers. You would need to treat it kind of like a crate trained dog. When you are asleep or not home it needs to be in a safe place where it won't destroy your home or get hurt.

4. Aggression? Not in general, but VERY defensive/aggressive when it comes to food.

5. Socialization? The skunk that we still have at work gets played with/held many times a day and when it is slow, gets free roam to almost half of the store. Just like with a puppy or kitten, socialization is very important when they are young so that they gain confidence and do not fear things that will be common in its day to day life.

6. Scent/Odor? Some say that they smell kind of like a ferret, but sweeter. Like anything else: the better the diet, the less they smell.

In Florida you need the class III wildlife permit to own a skunk. Also, I do not recommend skunks for homes with young children or if you feel the need to hand feed or give kisses/snuggles. If someone reports a skunk bite the animal is put down because there is no rabies vaccine for a skunk so any and all precautions should be taken to make sure absolutely no one gets bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Marissa~

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marissa@MKmorphs For This Useful Post:

Crazymonkee (01-09-2014),DooLittle (01-09-2014),satomi325 (01-09-2014),Wizard (01-09-2014)

Thanks

Thanks Marissa!

I'll be in touch with you about learning more about owning a skunk.
    BTW, the snake rack I purchased from you is working out great!

1.1 Piebald
    1.0 Caramel
    1.0 Jigsaw
    0.1 VPI Axanthic
    1.0 Lesser

BPnet Senior Member Marissa@MKmorphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 783 Posts

So glad it is working out for you! Don't hesitate to ask if you have skunk questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Marissa~

Thanks
    I know I am a few days late but will add a few thoughts to this. Skunks are great pets, as long as you are willing to let them run the house. They learn very very quickly, if they realize that something they want is not available for them they will get it (Forget to feed them one morning and see how quick they will find food no matter how well things are secured). Drywall walls will not stop them if they want through LOL They are 100% an indoor pet..if they bite(someone other than you) most states require a rabies screening...the only way to do that is an autopsy of the brain. They also can overheat really quickly if you take them out in the direct sunlight on a warm day. Anyway for the record one of the best pets ever...imagine a cat that is smart

I Gots Me Some Snakes...

Thanks
    Also wanted to add... Know someone whose daughter did a ton of research and adopted a skunk from a good breeder. After about 6 months she had to find a new home for it. The mom told me that it was like a ferret, only bigger (in behavior and smell) very smart, but that it was also quite destructive. Like others said, needs to be confined when you're not around and not given access to things you don't want scratched / chewed. She also said that it was nocturnal.. No one had emphasized this to her daughter and it ended up being a big deal for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast