Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,302

2 members and 3,300 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Question about 3.5 foot ball python eating a bit of coco soft bark with small rat

I feed on a large tupperware lid but my ball python weaseled a bit of bark into her mouth. She opened and closed her mouth for about 15 minutes and I saw it in the bottom of her mouth, but then she drank a fair amount of water and went to the hot hide to digest her meal. Any worries? The coco soft bark is really soft and when wet really seems to compress and fall apart. I have included two pictures of a piece that would represent the largest size it would have been. The first pic is dry second it wet.

Any advice is appreciated. I don't like feeding outside the cage, and normally she keeps her food on the tupperware lid, but on this meal she went bonkers and I watched for park with the feeding prongs but this piece slipped by.

Dry

Wet

Snake

Last edited by Wooglins; 01-07-2014 at 09:57 PM.

Thanks

Re: Question about 3.5 foot ball python eating a bit of coco soft bark with small rat

She'll probably be just fine, don't worry too much. If their digestion can eat through bone and fur, a small bit of substrate won't do anything at all. My normal got a big mouthful of cocofiber stuck in her bottom teeth at one point, ended up swallowing it and passing it with no issues. Especially when feeding thawed, it can be hard to avoid them dragging the feeder through the substrate and coating it with pieces. If it continues to worry you, set down a paper towel before you offer meals. Nessie sees her paper towel coming and goes right into feeding mode nowadays, haha.

Sent from my warm hide using Tapatalk
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Archimedes For This Useful Post:

Wooglins (01-08-2014)

Thanks

Re: Question about 3.5 foot ball python eating a bit of coco soft bark with small rat

It'll be fine . A little bit is nothing to worry about

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazymonkee For This Useful Post:

Wooglins (01-08-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
    She'll probably be just fine, don't worry too much. If their digestion can eat through bone and fur, a small bit of substrate won't do anything at all. My normal got a big mouthful of cocofiber stuck in her bottom teeth at one point, ended up swallowing it and passing it with no issues. Especially when feeding thawed, it can be hard to avoid them dragging the feeder through the substrate and coating it with pieces. If it continues to worry you, set down a paper towel before you offer meals. Nessie sees her paper towel coming and goes right into feeding mode nowadays, haha.

Sent from my warm hide using Tapatalk

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazymonkee View Post
    It'll be fine . A little bit is nothing to worry about
    Thanks.