Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,335

2 members and 3,333 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Just a general question

I can't find a straight answer for this on the inter-web , I'm currently fighting the flu bug...poor me, I'll live. Enclosure maintenance, feeding time, and etc. are coming due. My question is "Can a snake catch an illness from us humans?" I know they can't catch a cold from us directly. Other than an RI from poor husbandry conditions within the enclosure. For like major illness like in my case "the flu" or something like pneumonia. I wash my hands before and after I handle my BP or any other of my reptiles, then again I don't ever recall handling them while being sick (I rarely get sick) is why I'm asking as silly as it may seem. So in the mean time I'll handle my little girl if I absolutely have too until I'm well. Your opinions would greatly be appreciated on this.

Thanks
    As a pre medical student who has taken biology and various health science classes, I would say its probably not likely your sickness could transmit to your snake. If you have a bacterial infection... Bacteria could effect the snake but bacteria transmission generally only occurs though fluids as in you would have to sneeze directly on the snake. A flu bug is a virus and virons are very specific to the cells from which they can infect. The HIV virus effects only 1 cell type in the human body. T-Cells.. Your snake will be fine. Just wash your hands before and after you handle it.
    Last edited by blackonblack; 01-05-2014 at 08:06 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to blackonblack For This Useful Post:

winglesshornet (01-06-2014)

Thanks

Re: Just a general question

Working in the ER during flu season, I have to say that MAYBE 50% of my patients who present with flu like symptoms actually have the flu. While it's highly unlikely (nothing's impossible) you'll give it to your animals, if you're one of the 50% who has something else, that COULD be transmitted.

Still, it shouldn't be an issue since you're washing and sanitizing your hands.

You ARE keeping your hands clean, right?

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to patientz3ro For This Useful Post:

winglesshornet (01-06-2014)

Thanks
    Thank you guys for your opinions and advises, I feel a little bit more comfortable with the info you have gave me.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Most illnesses are species specific, so it's safe to assume that your snake cannot catch what you have.

Thanks
    i would worry much more about carrying a disease from one snake to another or from one reptile to another.

its really rare for a virus to jump between two such distantly related species. heck, its even rare for a flu virus to make a jump from one mammal species to another.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

Thanks
    Well I'm not a doctor and figured it would be better to ask rather than to assume anything. I just have my little girl, although she is diffidently not the first, had to give up my other guys and gals when I went into service to be fair to them. Who knows..... maybe my numbers will multiply!!! I just got over this addiction!

Thanks

Re: Just a general question

Quote Originally Posted by Pythonfriend View Post
    i would worry much more about carrying a disease from one snake to another or from one reptile to another.

its really rare for a virus to jump between two such distantly related species. heck, its even rare for a flu virus to make a jump from one mammal species to another.
    Quote Originally Posted by satomi325 View Post
    Most illnesses are species specific, so it's safe to assume that your snake cannot catch what you have.
    This is true for about 90% of viruses, but only in terms of actually causing symptomatic illnesses. They may actually INFECT one species, but other species can be carriers. Bacterial infections aren't as selective. As long as the conditions in the host organism are right, they'll flourish, regardless of the species. Again, they may not cause symptoms, but that's a function of the host's immune system.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk