Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,444

1 members and 3,443 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Freaking frusterated with my temps! Ughh

I am very new to BP's and my pursuit of a correct habitat has resulted in frustration. I am running a 100W CHE and an UTH on the hotside. Both hooped up to a seperate thermostat. Problem is... If i set my CHE too high it warns the hide on the hot side to too high of a basking temperature.

Right now my warm end is about 83 deg and my cold end about 76 degrees. I have a basking spot (which he uses nightly) of about 94 degrees and substrate over the UTH on the hot end is anywhere between 85-90. My BP is eating but he ONLY stays on the cool end during the day but moves to the warm end at night to warm up.

I'd like to increase the temps by setting my CHE thermostat higher (currently set at 86 with proble 5 inches below it) 3 inches from the bottom it warms the air to 83 degrees. Problem is that the top of his warm side hide gets near 100 degrees as apparently its a good insulator.

Is it ok to have an area he can contact be 100 degrees? There are areas next to it that are more suitible basking temps. My UTH doesn't seem to be warming it much and when it does it gets everything near it too hot.

Here's my setup.

The top of the gray rock hide under the CHE gets near 100 degrees if i set my CHE thermpstat over 86 degrees and even then the air temp is only 83 degrees near the bottom.

I am sure several people have a hide under a CHE... but how do people regulat this?
    Last edited by blackonblack; 01-04-2014 at 05:06 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    If your air temps are 83 and 76 your snake will he fine. That is as low as it should get though on the cool side.

I personally would not let the top of the hide reach over a 100. What I do is use a che on the warm side and then have another heat bulb on the cool side in a low wattage for just a tad of extra heat.

Also covering the sides and back with foam, thick paper, etc will insulate the tank and raise the temp a few degrees.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull