Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,270

1 members and 3,269 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Ughhh help me convince my mom!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    Worst advice!!

What happens when mom finds it?
    i said it depends on the relationship they have. im a college student living in my house during the summer and a few weeks for winter vacation, because of this and everything that has been going on in my household, my mom is at the point of not caring. She knows i take care of them and dont ask her to do anything for them so she wouldnt be extremly mad, just annoyed i didnt say anything. Either way if i told her or not the result would be the same thing since july, not coming in my room anymore
    0.1 pastel
    0.1 butter
    1.0 bumble bee

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bandicoot4 View Post
    i said it depends on the relationship they have. im a college student living in my house during the summer and a few weeks for winter vacation, because of this and everything that has been going on in my household, my mom is at the point of not caring. She knows i take care of them and dont ask her to do anything for them so she wouldnt be extremly mad, just annoyed i didnt say anything. Either way if i told her or not the result would be the same thing since july, not coming in my room anymore
    You don't need to justify your lack of respect to your parents to me.
    Just don't give out advice that entails lying. Especially to someone who still lives at home, what you do in your house is your problem.
    Last edited by PitOnTheProwl; 01-05-2014 at 10:37 AM.

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Annarose15 (01-05-2014),Archimedes (01-05-2014),ballpythonluvr (01-08-2014),dgring (01-08-2014),Flint (01-05-2014),gaplastina (01-05-2014),jason_ladouceur (01-06-2014),Jay_Bunny (01-05-2014),shadowsnakes (01-05-2014),Shann (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Chiming in as a mom here...

At the age of 13, the last thing you want to be doing is sneaking around and doing things that will cause your mom not to trust you. If I caught my 13 year old son with a snake (or any animal) that I hadn't given him permission to have, I would make him re-home it and my trust would be shattered. You have your whole adult life to have as many animals as you wish. Your mom is kind to let you have one snake (many moms would say no way). Work with her and talk with her if you want another. Strive to be the trustworthy son that I'm sure she wants to raise. Your long term relationship with your mother is much more important than having another snake at this point.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gaplastina For This Useful Post:

Annarose15 (01-05-2014),Archimedes (01-05-2014),dgring (01-08-2014),Flint (01-05-2014),jason_ladouceur (01-06-2014),shadowsnakes (01-05-2014),Shann (01-05-2014),Xtina (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gaplastina View Post
    Chiming in as a mom here...

At the age of 13, the last thing you want to be doing is sneaking around and doing things that will cause your mom not to trust you. If I caught my 13 year old son with a snake (or any animal) that I hadn't given him permission to have, I would make him re-home it and my trust would be shattered. You have your whole adult life to have as many animals as you wish. Your mom is kind to let you have one snake (many moms would say no way). Work with her and talk with her if you want another. Strive to be the trustworthy son that I'm sure she wants to raise. Your long term relationship with your mother is much more important than having another snake at this point.
    Exactly! Some other things to consider before expanding your collection (that are probably questions your mother has, also): Is there any chance you are going to college? Most dorms do not allow pets, and planning to sneak one (or many) in is just adding to the lies and risks you are forcing your animals to face. Do you expect your mom to take care of them while you are away? If not, who and how? These are long-lived animals that required a level of stability and long-term planning. The questions of vet care and other expenses have already been brought up.

Being on these forums makes it very easy to get caught up in wanting multiple morphs, different species, and even get into breeding. The most important thing to keep in mind, regardless of anyone's age, is that you have to be prepared to take care of every animal you own and produce, period. Anything less is pure selfishness.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Annarose15 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (01-08-2014),Flint (01-05-2014),Shann (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    I had a similar problem parents didn't want me to have snakes in the house. I keep them in the garden shed.
    1.0 Champagne ball python(Champ)
    0.1 Spider ball python
    (Charlotte)
    0.1 Albino ball python​ (
    Amber)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by samthemanz3n View Post
    I had a similar problem parents didn't want me to have snakes in the house. I keep them in the garden shed.
    This won't work in many places outside of lower Florida. Too cold!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Annarose15 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (01-08-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard View Post

Long story short, It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
    My quote is somewhat glib but you have to remember that you are dealing with live animals. I knew my mom and dad were animal lovers and I had proved myself a responsible pet owner but I was taking a chance. They could have just as easy told me to get rid of it, but it was a chance I would never take again.

Remember, finding a home for pet is never easy and unfortunately snakes rarely get to find the homes they need.

1.1 Piebald
    1.0 Caramel
    1.0 Jigsaw
    0.1 Bumblebee, het. VPI Ax
    0.1 VPI Axanthic
    1.0 Lesser

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    You don't need to justify your lack of respect to your parents to me.
    Just don't give out advice that entails lying. Especially to someone who still lives at home, what you do in your house is your problem.
    I don't mean to argue or spit out advice that not many agree with, and although my mother might not agree with the new love for my hobby they are still my animals that she does not take care of. I do understand where you are coming from and it may be me in college not thinking clearly what my parents think of my reptiles but they are still mine and I care for them either way. Again I apologize for anything that may have been taken the wrong way, but if I can take care of an animal and afford it why not do what makes me happy. Just going off my gut and personal experience. No disrespect intended
    0.1 pastel
    0.1 butter
    1.0 bumble bee

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bandicoot4 View Post
    I don't mean to argue or spit out advice that not many agree with, and although my mother might not agree with the new love for my hobby they are still my animals that she does not take care of. I do understand where you are coming from and it may be me in college not thinking clearly what my parents think of my reptiles but they are still mine and I care for them either way. Again I apologize for anything that may have been taken the wrong way, but if I can take care of an animal and afford it why not do what makes me happy. Just going off my gut and personal experience. No disrespect intended
    I understand where you're coming from, but the OP is only 13, not in college.

Sent from my warm hide using Tapatalk
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Archimedes For This Useful Post:

dgring (01-08-2014)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123