Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,969

1 members and 1,968 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Ughhh help me convince my mom!!!

Okay, so I have a Ball Python, it took me 2 years to get it because my grandma lives with us and is scared of every animal known to man. I have spent over 4 years studying snakes so that when I got one I would be a good owner and about 7 months ago I got a baby Ball Python from the pet store, it is just a normal. Since I got it I feel I have been an exceptional owner, I always make sure he has a full bowl of clean water, I clean his cage out once a month, I feed him every saturday never missing a day, and I always make sure he has the perect heat and humidity, I also hold him everyday with the exception being feeding day. He is about 2 1/2 - 3 feet and is doing great. I have him in a 75 gallon aquarium and have been told by many people including breeders at reptile shows that the tank is too big and I agree so we are going to split the tank in half with a divider and leave him on the one side. I have been begging my mom to let me get another Ball Python for the other side and even after explaining to her it would cost no more money than before because in heat we already have the lights and I have 3 extra fixtures and 2 extra day bulbs and 2 extra night bulbs. In aspen it would be the same amount of aspen because we are not expanding the tank I would need enough to cover both sides just as I do now. in food I feed mine 2 a week but have told by experts to save money move him down to 1 rat a week he will thrive just as he does now but it would save money I could feed my snake one and the new one the other if I get one that eats the same size rats mine does therefore equaling 2 a week just as it is now. I have 3 large hides and 3 large water bowls and about 4 toys/decorations for the snakes to climb on. I have spent 4 yeas studying reptiles mostly Ball Pythons and now have almost a year of experience with a Ball Python and I feel I am ready to take on the task of caring for another reptile. This is my passion it is what I want to do when I grow up and reptiles are very important to me and although I love the snake I have now and still will play with if I got a new one, I would really enjoy getting some experience dealing with more than one reptile. Yes I do realize it would be cheaper to make the changes I talked about and not get a new one but it is absolutely no prolem doing what I am doing now therefore it will be no problem making the changes and getting a new snake. I would also like to say no, I do not mooch off of my parents to pay for the stuff for the most part I pay for everything for my snake with money from mowing my neighbors yards. What should I say to her to convince her to let me get another snake? I am not trying to be rude but please don't answer with something like enjoy what you have now or you may not think so but if you get another snake you will stop caring for the one you have now, I jusf want to know what to say to my mom.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dylanhagler For This Useful Post:

dgring (01-04-2014)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    First rule of living under someone else's roof: Its their roof

Did your mom voice why she doesn't want another snake? It would be easier to form a compelling argument if you were aware of her opinions and feelings regarding another ball python.
    Ball pythons: 1.0 Pied, 0.1 Normal het Pied, 1.0 Spider, 0.1 Russo het Luc
    Domestic cats: 0.1 Misty, 0.1 Tootsie, 0.1 Oreo
    Hooded Striped rats: 1.0 General Tso, 1.0 Moo Goo, 0.1 Lo, 0.1 Chow
    Dalmation Dumbo rats: 0.1 Sesame

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowsnakes For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (01-04-2014)

Thanks

Re: Ughhh help me convince my mom!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowsnakes View Post
    First rule of living under someone else's roof: Its their roof

Did your mom voice why she doesn't want another snake? It would be easier to form a compelling argument if you were aware of her opinions and feelings regarding another ball python.
    My mom said that she does not want another snake because we have too many animals already. We have a cat 2 dogs in the back a dog inside and my little brother has a dog. While I agree we have a lot of animals, not to be disrespectful to my mother but I did not ask for any of them except for my snake and the snake would not take up anymore space it would only fill the space already taken. if it is a money issue you saw the post it would cost the same and I pay for most of it.She loves nightmare ( my snake ) so does my 3 year old sister and everyone else in the house except of course my grandmother but I am respectful and let her know when I am holding it and I told her if she is scared and would like for me to get rid of it i would but she says it doesn't bother her anymore as long as I don't take it and put it in her face she has even voluntarily touched him.

Thanks

As a mom I can tell you this just might be bad timing. The holidays are stressful, even when everything goes well. There are more obligations, financial and personal. You've probably been home from school for a few weeks, and families are often out of their regular routine during school breaks. As wonderful as the season can be, it's also a very stressful time. It just may not be the best time to ask your mom to take on something new or additional (even if you handle the bulk of the responsibility.). Give it a couple months, and try again.

Sent from my TARDIS using Tapatalk
    "if you plan for a year, plant rice. If you plan for a decade, plant trees. If you plan for a lifetime, educate people." - Chinese Proverb

1.0 Normal BP - Tiki
    0.0.1 Albino Corn - Fuego
    0.0.1 Snow Corn - Zero
    1.0 Jack Russell - Bosco
    1.0 Morkie - Rocky
    1.0 Awesome Kid

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I suppose point out the fact there is no cost to her and there is no additional space or supplies needed. You already have an enclosure ready for your snake, you just need the snake. Many reputable breeders sell normals for $20-$30. Confidence is key, but so is respect for your mother.

Don't forget you will need a seperate quarantine space for a few months while the new snake acclimates, or you could risk transmitting some serious parasites and illnesses to Nightmare. Entire collections have been wiped out by careless or nonexistant quarantine procedures.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowsnakes For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (01-04-2014)

Thanks

My main question is if you have a solid plan for how you're going to split the tank to where they cannot get from one side to the other? My second question would be is there enough room in the tank for both the snakes to grow in? If you need to buy more tubs or any other supplies in the future it COULD be somewhat costly. My suggestion would be to save up enough money and do your research to prove to your mom that you're serious about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I suppose point out the fact there is no cost to her and there is no additional space or supplies needed. You already have an enclosure ready for your snake, you just need the snake. Many reputable breeders sell normals for $20-$30. Confidence is key, but so is respect for your mother.

Don't forget you will need a seperate quarantine space for a few months while the new snake acclimates, or you could risk transmitting some serious parasites and illnesses to Nightmare. Entire collections have been wiped out by careless or nonexistant quarantine procedures.
    I apologize for taking your time with this I know this may seem like I lied about studying animals but I assure you that is no lie but what is a quarantine space and could nightmare get a disease even if the other snake has no disease ( I know that sounds very stupid but i want to be sure )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xtina View Post
    As a mom I can tell you this just might be bad timing. The holidays are stressful, even when everything goes well. There are more obligations, financial and personal. You've probably been home from school for a few weeks, and families are often out of their regular routine during school breaks. As wonderful as the season can be, it's also a very stressful time. It just may not be the best time to ask your mom to take on something new or additional (even if you handle the bulk of the responsibility.). Give it a couple months, and try again.
    Thank you I understand that the holidays are stressful and I probaly wait I guess I will just focus on Nightmare ( my snake ) for a couple of months

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dylanhagler For This Useful Post:

dgring (01-04-2014),Xtina (01-04-2014)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dylanhagler View Post
    I apologize for taking your time with this I know this may seem like I lied about studying animals but I assure you that is no lie but what is a quarantine space and could nightmare get a disease even if the other snake has no disease ( I know that sounds very stupid but i want to be sure )
    Reptiles have a neat but annoying ability to hide illnesses until they become a concern. Respiratory infection, IBD, mites, ticks, internal parasites... some of these have external visible signs, many do not.

Quarantine space is an area away from your established snake, ideally on the other side of the house. Keep them seperate for at least three months to make sure there are no issues with your new addition, then you can put them in the divided tank.

Thanks

Reptiles have a neat but annoying ability to hide illnesses until they become a concern. Respiratory infection, IBD, mites, ticks, internal parasites... some of these have external visible signs, many do not.
    I did not know that thank you for telling me that before I went and got Nightmare sick.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast