Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,337

4 members and 3,333 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Beginner needs advice. Bad shed? Or an overreaction? [PICS]

Hey guys,

I'm a first timer and possibly having some issues with my BP. BC he's a BEL, I'm having a hard time gauging where he is in the stages shedding.

Basic info.

I got him 12/20 (hatched Aug. 25, 2013) weighing 114 grams. We fed him a hopper mouse 12/22 and he ate fine. 12/28 he started showing signs of going into shed, eyes were milky, not very active, loose skin. 12/29 I attempted to feed. He took on second attempt, but I discovered hours later that he had not eaten it and was hoarding it in the back of his tub. I took this as a sign he was indeed going into shed and did not attempt another feeding. He weighed 126g on 12/26 before defecating. As of 1/3, he still appears to be in some stage of shed. Shed is coming off in little bits and pieces, but he seems to be struggling with much of it his head appears to have been cleared of shed. His skin is still very loose, which I though would dissipate after that middle clearing stage. I'm concerned about dehydration. I'm worried if dehydrated, he could have a hard time maintaining that firmness necessary to create the proper friction to work off the remainder of the shed. His weight has also worryingly returned to 114g. I've maintained a high humidity (70-80%), cleaning and changing water routinely. I've also soaked him twice in warm water, in a second tub, with a washcloth and his scratching log to aid him. My question is, what should I be doing now? I feel neglectful with the wait and see approach, but don't want to stress him with handling. Please see the pictures below and let me know what you think would be the best course of action.

Thanks so much.
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Thanks

Re: Beginner needs advice. Bad shed? Or an overreaction? [PICS]

I know you don't want to hear this, but just be patient. Make sure that his humidity is high and he'll shed. Sometimes it takes them a little bit longer to shed than usual. He looks like he's right about to shed.

What some people do is get a damp pillow case (make sure it's warm) and let their snake slither around. I personally just bump up my humidity and let my snakes do the rest.

Btw, you have a beautiful snake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr. Misha; 01-03-2014 at 09:24 PM.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

ashelto5 (01-03-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Beginner needs advice. Bad shed? Or an overreaction? [PICS]

Yep - stuck shed.

We have a sticky.

He doesn't look dehydrated though.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

ashelto5 (01-04-2014)

Thanks
    Yeah, seems like stuck shed.

You can try this: Take small plastic container (with air holes), fill it with water so that the depth of the water is about half of the snake's body height (inch or two). Place a damp towel in the container too and then the snake. Soak the snake in the container for few hours. Make sure that the container stays warm enough. After the soak, if all the old skin has not come off, you can use the damp towel to gently remove it.

Works like a miracle, every time
    5.2 Python regius
    1.3 Corallus hortulanus
    0.1 Morelia viridis 'jayapura'
    1.0 Pantherophis guttatus

1.0 Chalcides ocellatus
    2.2 Epipedobates anthonyi 'Santa Isabel'