Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,279

2 members and 3,277 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Exclamation Rescue in need of help! ASAP.

Rescued this gal that was left at PetCo yesterday by some kid who didn't want her anymore. I believe she has some vision, she was able to catch a cricket yesterday and has found her way around the tub.

Here are picture of both eyes:

Full Body

She is in a 17qt tub, with moistened paper towels to create a high humidity sauna. I put neosporin on both eyes yesterday before bed and tried to work it off gently with a q-tip to no avail, I put more on it this morning and will continue for the next few days. I have saline to rinse the eyes soon after I get it off. I have been putting Beechnut Turkey Baby Food on her lips for food and hydration.

Any other advice?

Thanks
    I used to have a gecko girl with stuck shed on her eye, much like your rescue girl. The vet had us gently swab at it with some Shed-Ease two or three times a day. It took a while, but it did come off.

I do hope she's able to see for you though, she does look rather squinty. Why do I feel like this is a byproduct of a sandy substrate? Tsk. I hope she turns around for you!
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Thanks

Re: Rescue in need of help! ASAP.

Poor girl. She looks pretty okay, aside from her eyes. I'm surprised she's not missing any toes. Add a moist hide box in her tub with her with either damp sphagnum moss or wet paper towel. Just keep working the shed off with a q tip with water or shed ease. It should (hopefully) eventually come off. Keep plenty of water in a water bowl & be sure to dust the crickets with vitamin d3/calcium and keep a tray of regular calcium in her tub, too.
    1.0 Yellowbelly
    0.1 Spider

1.0 Normal Western Hognose

0.2 Leopard Gecko

1.0 Sheltie

Thanks
    Thought I'd give a quick update. I got all the gunk out of her eye, found out she is permanently blind. Doesn't eat on her own or anything, so she needs regular hand gentle force feedings to gain her weight back.

Its rather sad, shes such a sweet girl.

Thanks

Poor babe. Is she in good gecko spirits, at least?

Sent from my warm hide using Tapatalk
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Registered User ChuckeyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

Who told you she is blind????if its not a vet who told you there MIGHR still be hope

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

That is optimistic; although, I think one would be able to tell based on its reaction to movements or lack thereof.