Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,355

4 members and 3,351 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Registered User jasonmcgilvrey83's Avatar
    Thanks

humidity issues please help.

Still having issues in my four foot boamaster. It a wood one. So far I have tryed eco earth, repti bark, put moss in it, and now useing paper towels. I'm useing a gradient heat pannel from pro products that's hooked up to a herp stat. Within a half hour of staying down my tank it goes from 65 humidity to 38. Thinking of investing in a mister if I can't find a way to instulate the inside to keep humidity in. Was also thinking of gluing acrylic on the inside to insulation. Please help. All ideas would be helpful. Never had a humidity issue like this.

Thanks

Re: humidity issues please help.

This doesn't sound right. Where in the cage are you measuring humidity, and how far from the heat panel?

Also, what kind of meter are you using?

The reason I ask is that everything you're doing SHOULD be working. The only answer I can come up with is that humidity isn't likely to stay constant throughout the cage. If you're only measuring in one place, try moving the probe. Humidity will also vary with height in the cage. That's one of the reasons I use a combo meter at either end of the tank.

I've also found that humidity inside my hides is different than ambient. It's usually a bit higher. Maybe pick up a hygrometer with a smaller probe and measure inside as well.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    If it stays at 38 once it drops you will be fine. Mist once a day and let it drop again. Many people do this. 65 is to high to stay at anyway. During a shed just mist twice a day instead of once and your snake will be fine.

I second checking the gauges accuracy. If it is correct I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you find it is staying super low adding damp moss in the hides will create higher humidity within the hide giving the snake the humidity it needs. I do this in my glass tank. Dampen the moss and allow it to dry out before dampening again. In a shed I will keep it moist until the shed is complete. Don't do this until you are sure you actually have constant low humidity. Keeping it to high can cause RI.

Staying at 40-50% its good so 38 is close enough.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

shadowsnakes (12-27-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    I have four of these so am very familiar with them. I would suggest putting tape on the outside over the holes in the front on both sides of the door to help slow down the air exchange. There will still be plenty of ventilation due to the space around the door and the holes in the back.

I use cypress as substrate and soak it pretty well at least once a day, especially under the RHP. Unlike the paper towels or newspaper it can absorb a lot more water and release it slowly. If you must use paper or aspen then you will probably need to make a humid hide.

I also use two water bowls, one on the cool side and the other under the RHP next to the warm side hide. Shallow/wide is better than tall/deep.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

KMG (12-28-2013)

Thanks
    I have foil tape over the front vents. And acurite gauges on both sides of the boamaster. Here's a pix of the set up. Never had a problem with humidity with other set ups. Just this tank. Hot side humidity is always ten degrees lower then cool side. Went throu three sets of acurite just to be sure it's the tank and not the gauges.

Last edited by jasonmcgilvrey83; 12-28-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Thanks
    The moss in the middle is also a moist hide for shed. Only thing diffrent about the set up is I'm useing paper towels for substrate now. The rest is the same.