Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,851

1 members and 2,850 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Python doesn't constrict prey.

I have a 3 foot long ball python and I decided to try something new during his feeding. I put a dead mouse into the tank and waited to see what he would do. He went up to the mouse and took it to his hide to swallow it. I was expecting him to either be disinterested in the mouse or grab and constrict it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Python doesn't constrict prey.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Green View Post
    I have a 3 foot long ball python and I decided to try something new during his feeding. I put a dead mouse into the tank and waited to see what he would do. He went up to the mouse and took it to his hide to swallow it. I was expecting him to either be disinterested in the mouse or grab and constrict it.
    It happens. I have some that do this and then sometimes the strike and coil. If I normally just put it in the tank and it's not moving they'll generally just grab it and eat it, but if it's moving they generally strike and coil.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

I'm going to have to switch bedding. He got a considerable amount of aspen along with the mouse.

Thanks

I have one snake that does the same. Well, usually. If I have to zombie dance to coax a strike and feed response he does coil then but, otherwise it is rare to see him coil an F/T. The rest "kill" the prey good before trying to consume it.
    It really isn't something to worry about.

You did mention it picked up a fair bit of aspen. So, I have to ask if you are warming in water? Wet prey will pick up substrate more easily, toss it in a bag then the bag in the water to avoid that if this is the case. I only have a limited number of snakes atm so watching them eat isn't an issue for me and I find they are pretty good about allowing me to remove substrate from their prey/mouths for the most part a couple foodies thought I was trying to steal prey at first but have relaxed since then.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raven01 View Post
    I have one snake that does the same. Well, usually. If I have to zombie dance to coax a strike and feed response he does coil then but, otherwise it is rare to see him coil an F/T. The rest "kill" the prey good before trying to consume it.
    It really isn't something to worry about.

You did mention it picked up a fair bit of aspen. So, I have to ask if you are warming in water? Wet prey will pick up substrate more easily, toss it in a bag then the bag in the water to avoid that if this is the case. I only have a limited number of snakes atm so watching them eat isn't an issue for me and I find they are pretty good about allowing me to remove substrate from their prey/mouths for the most part a couple foodies thought I was trying to steal prey at first but have relaxed since then.
    I am warming in water, but the mouse is in a ziploc bag and never comes in contact with the water.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Green View Post
    I am warming in water, but the mouse is in a ziploc bag and never comes in contact with the water.
    Yea, they still get wet that way. I used to do it that way a long time ago then I found it's much more efficient to thaw them out naturally then 4-5 hours later, I put them on a plate(which I never use) that has paper towels on it and I put them under a heat lamp which is lifted half way to the light, and it's on a dimmer switch about 80%. I do 20-30 mins on each side then I take them out and hit them with a hairdryer to scent the room which seems to put them into heavy feeding mode. If I do notice any look a bit damp I will spend a minute or two hitting them to with the hd to dry them off or I'll wipe with a paper towel. That makes sure that they don't pick up aspen or if they do it's not much.

Then I have multiple hides so I'll flip one of the hides and when the strike and coil I'll slightly pull them onto the hide so they eat over the hide.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks
    I've got a girl that will do the same. I have to give her my best zombie dance to get her to open up her mouth and take it. It's weird. She'll nose it then open up her mouth or strike it and not coil. Reminds me of a dog. Give her a live one and boom it's gone and she's coiled around it tight.
    Alluring Constrictors

Registered User jasonmcgilvrey83's Avatar
    Thanks
    My boy doesn't strike or constrict. He just lightly takes is from my hand. But my other one strikes and constricts no matter what. It's all about the snakes personality.

Thanks
    It's all about the day or stars or moon phase or anything I would say Sometimes they strike sometimes they just eat. No worries at that if they eat We sometimes take time to eat our food and others we just munch it all down.

As far the bedding goes. Yeah maybe switching to another will make some difference but then again what about in nature? Who cleans the mess for them? No one. So they eat a bit of dirt no harm

Mine is such a messy killer if striking and constricting. The part of the rat where he struck is usually so slobbery something will eventually stick on it while eating. I presume it's the same in nature

Oh and if using F/T it's somewhat useful to warm them up with hair dryer. That will also dry the prey

Thanks

Make sure you don't feed them in their home tank!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast