Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,205

1 members and 1,204 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well....One day my cat got into my feeder room overnight and I did not know. He ate 32 ASFs by the time I realized he was missing....

Other than that, my snake room buddy gets a f/t rodent on most feeding days. He plays with the dead rodent for a while, eats it, then begs me for more. If he nabs a live one he's a really quick killer then plays with it. I really don't like wasting my live rodents on him though
    Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 12-20-2013 at 03:01 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,063 Posts

Re: Cats and Feeders?

My rat terrier is helpful at finding and flushing out any escapees from the rodent tank. Ranger likes to play with them and winds up traumatizing the rodent to death(no blood). The draw back is it can be difficult to get the rodent away from him so I've wound up with a couple dead feeders on occasion. He'll sit in front of a tank with rodents in it while whining and licking his lips.
    -Yar

1.0.0 Albino Black Rat snake(Wafer)
    0.0.1 California King snake(Oreo)
    0.0.1 African Housesnake(Cupcake)
    0.0.1 Honduran Milk snake(Blackjack)
    0.0.2 Normal BP(Petey; Twix)
    0.0.1 Yellow Rat Snake(Dijon)
    0.0.1 Madagascar Speckled Hognose(Granola)[RIP]
    1.0.0 Albino Nelson's Milk snake(Candy Cane)
    1.0.0 Lesser BP(Creme Brulee)
    1.0.0 Mojo BP(Brownie)
    0.1.0 Black Motley Corn snake(Anisette)
    0.0.1 Pueblan Milk snake[Fostering, Taco Grande]
    0.1.0 West African Mud Turtle(Bulger)
    0.2.0 Red Eared Slider(Squirtle, Turtwig)
    1.0.0 Rat Terrorier(Ranger)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Lol.

Rat terriers doing what rat terriers do best: ratting.

Love it.
    Last edited by satomi325; 12-20-2013 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks
    I feed my bobcat hybrid a diet of mice and premium canned cat food. I wish I could get my other indoor kitties to eat mice, but I haven't been able to get them to accept it yet. It is the best diet you can give a cat; whole prey.
    1 Husband, 1 Western Hognose Snake (male), 2 ferrets (2 females), 1 male jungle leopard gecko, 4 gerbils (2 females & 2 males), 1 male dwarf rabbit, 3 guinea pigs (1 male, 1 female and 1 female skinny pig), 2 American parakeets, 2 cats (male bobcat hybrid and a male Egyptian Mau mix), and 2 dogs (female Mini Dachshund and a female Alaskan Malamute).

Thanks
    Like everyone else I agree that it depends on how fast and accurate she can kill. I know a lot of cats tend to play with their prey before killing it and you don't want the poor thing suffering for half an hour. Id try f/t first and see what her response is.

Thanks
    Oh, I feed f/t to my cat... I love my mice too much to feed live.
    1 Husband, 1 Western Hognose Snake (male), 2 ferrets (2 females), 1 male jungle leopard gecko, 4 gerbils (2 females & 2 males), 1 male dwarf rabbit, 3 guinea pigs (1 male, 1 female and 1 female skinny pig), 2 American parakeets, 2 cats (male bobcat hybrid and a male Egyptian Mau mix), and 2 dogs (female Mini Dachshund and a female Alaskan Malamute).

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    My cats (and dogs) are on a raw diet. When I started them on raw, they actually did eat whole (f/t) prey. They aren't on whole prey any more, but I have given them prekilled or f/t feeders if a snake refused. I would never give them a live mouse though, because they would not kill it quickly. They like the play more than the kill (it's not fun any more if it's dead!), and the animal would suffer. I'm not ok with watching an animal suffer like that. (Yes, it happens in the wild, I'm a biologist and actually have to see it with my own eyes. I'm not ok with allowing that to happen in my house where I have some control.)
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I know this is an old thread but I wanted to add my two cents. I trained my youngest cat to hunt on live hoppers when I had a mouse colony for my snakes. He's not a fast killer, so I only did it a handful of times but it paid off. He's an excellent hunter now. I constructed a little arena of cardboard boxes, cut and tapped together to stand up, set Murry in there and the mouse after. A lot of people mentioned that whole prey items are the best thing to feed cats. The reason behind this is that cats have evolved to efficiently process meat, getting most of their moisture from their prey and various supplements from the prey's skeleton. Dry food diets try to replicate this by using a lot of vegetable based filler, vitamins and only a little meat product. Cats can't digest this nearly as well as whole prey. Point in case; I had a period of two months recently where I was buying very cheap food for my cats, with the result of my cats eating and eating but staying skinny. I was absolutely baffled until I researched cat diet and looked at the ingredient list on food bags. I switched brands and saw an immediate difference in their health. Once I start a mouse and rat colony again I plan on feeding the cats whole prey regularly.
    "Your absence has gone through me like thread through a needle. Everything I do is stitched with its color."

-W.S. Merwin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12