Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,423

2 members and 3,421 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Advice needed

Thanks

Advice needed

So I have had my BP for 3-4 years, I got him as a baby. He is my first and only snake. Last week he made a noise, not being sure if it was just water or shed stuck in his nose or a URI I have been keeping a close eye on him. I see no other symptoms and have not heard the noise again. That's not the problem but I figured it was worth mentioning. The past few days iv been keeping an eye on him for any other symptoms and he has been his normal self. Yesterday was feeding day, I hadn't taken a real close look (only through enclosure) so before feeding I was planning a quick pick up and check. I left the mouse downstairs so he wouldn't smell it. When I reached to take the screen clips off he struck. I gave him a minute to relax then took the top off. He seemed extremely tense, striking position at all times, following my every move. I found this so odd because he has never struck at anything but food and even on feeding days when the mouse is in the room he doesn't act like that. So I left him alone and just fed him. Today I walk into the room and am standing off to the side of the enclosure and just barley in front of it (the sides and back are covered). He struck again. Both times he struck it was in my direction but both times I was a fair distance away, especially the second time today. I covered up the front of the enclosure to keep him from stressing and striking. The enclosure is pretty big, its a 55 gallon. Some guy at a store suggested it to my mom when she was Christmas shopping for me 2 years ago. I cluttered it up with multiple hides and what not to help him feel secure as well as covering three sides like I mentioned and he has been fine in it for 2 years. Cool side is 78, hot side was 90. After hearing the noise a week ago I panicked a bit and bumped it up to 92 but have turned it back down to 90 after realizing I was over reacting (I am still keeping an eye on him for any symptoms of a URI or any noises to be safe but he seems fine). I am just wondering why the sudden change of behavior. What could cause this? I am thinking maybe its time to start feeding him 2 mice instead of one? I don't have a scale but he looks healthy to me. I will admit he looks smaller then BPs I see in pictures on here and stuff but his body is full and not "saggy". He is a fantastic eater and only gave me a problem one time when I first got him so he isn't starved. My girlfriend who knows nothing about snakes did said research today after I told her about his behavior, she said maybe he still smelled the mouse from yesterday. Is that even possible if he ate the mouse? Has anyone else had any experiences like this with there snakes? Any advice on what I should do? I am getting a little nervous about him, something must be up for him to change so drastically. This isn't a new snake, he has been with me for 4 years and this is not like him. Any advice or similar experiences shared will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Re: Advice needed

Possible he needs more/ bigger prey. What size mice are you feeding and how often?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Het Snow BCI
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Well for starters, if he is 4 years old, in theory he should be big enough to be eating at least small rats or several mice at one feeding. He can take a prey item the same size as his widest part. Possibly he is hungry. It is also possible he is just in a mood, or saw a reflection that freaked him out.
    Last edited by DooLittle; 12-18-2013 at 08:54 PM.
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

Badgemash (12-19-2013),PitOnTheProwl (12-18-2013)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    How often are you feeding him? One mouse isn't really enough depending on his size.

Thanks
    I feed him once a week, I am not 100% on what size mouse. I go into the store and ask for a feeder mouse and they give me one. Some mice are bigger then others, not by much but still they vary a tad. They are about the size as his widest part but definitely not bigger. A new store poped up around me that is a reptile specific store, I think ill try them for the next feeding day. Is there any benefit to feeding two smaller prey items compared to one larger prey item or vice versa? And as far as it being a "mood", is it normal for BP's to get moody when they have not been moody for 4 years? And if it is just a mood when should I expect him to go back to normal? I would think that depends on the snake but I figure id ask anyway. Like I said this is my first and only snake, iv had him for awhile but I am no expert

Thanks

I would most definitely be feeding him more... my 6 month old eats 2 mice at one feeding, I'm pretty sure that's your problem... he's hungry

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Thanks
    How much does he weigh?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

The benefit to one larger vs multiple smaller prey is time and money. And some animals will not take multiples. Other than that, it doesn't matter, if they are eating, feed them what they'll eat. As far as mood, could be a day or two or who knows... One of my boas out of the blue one day decided she didn't like my husband shuffling papers in front of her cage. And struck at him repeatedly, hitting the glass, and putting her tooth through her lip.

I had to pull her lip off her tooth very carefully with an earring. She was still pissed at him the next day and struck at him some more, however she was fine with me. So who knows.

I would start with offering 2 mice per feeding, (one at a time). If she takes them, you can bump up quantity accordingly. Can you post a picture of her?
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

martin82531 (12-19-2013)

Thanks
    I will get a picture up ASAP and will defiantly up his meals. Thank you guys, because it was such a radical change in behavior I was worrying something was seriously wrong. Although I feel terrible for being ignorant about meal size I should of known better

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chi For This Useful Post:

Crazymonkee (12-19-2013)

Thanks

All is good... first step is asking questions, then you can use those answers to rectify the situation
    Like suggested up the meal size first... go to a rat weanling... if your snake refuses the rat... try 2 mice

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazymonkee For This Useful Post:

Phantomtip (12-19-2013)