Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,354

2 members and 3,352 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    BPnet Senior Member Royal Hijinx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,155 Posts

Desert Ghost and Desert are NOT the same morph...

Just to reiterate, DESERT GHOST and DESERT are NOT the same morph.

I know for the vast majority this is known and obvious, but I am see this confusion a lot, and get asked a ton of questions every time I post a Desert Ghost or het Desert Ghost.

Desert Ghost is a recessive mutation that starts out yellow and black, and as the animal ages, the yellow turns much paler and the black stays black, it also tends to clean up pattern. Incredible morph, and one of the few that gets better with age. For it to be recessive, the females are obviously able to breed. There are ZERO known issues with Desert Ghost, unless you have a problem with awesome.

Desert, on the other hand, is a Dominant or Incomplete Dominant mutation that also makes a bright animal, and cleans up pattern. To date no one has shown proof of a breedable female Desert (hence why we do not know if it is Dom or Inc Dom).

It is unfortunate that the names are so close, but this is where education on what is what can be very important. Desert Ghost is a viable project with a ton of potential (disclaimer: I breed DGs), but Desert has its problems.

Sorry for the rant, but seems a lot of folks have missed the boat on what is what.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Royal Hijinx For This Useful Post:

Archimedes (12-18-2013),bcr229 (12-19-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    I think the ghost part also causes confusion. While desert gets plenty of discussion and ghost/hypo is common. The name itself sounds like a combo name between two well known morphs. I think the solution is for you to create tons of those beauties and get them into more collections.

BPnet Senior Member Royal Hijinx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,155 Posts

Re: Desert Ghost and Desert are NOT the same morph...

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    I think the ghost part also causes confusion. While desert gets plenty of discussion and ghost/hypo is common. The name itself sounds like a combo name between two well known morphs. I think the solution is for you to create tons of those beauties and get them into more collections.
    I am working on it!

I agree about the Ghost part, which is why I believe that Hypo should be used instead of Ghost, reserving the Ghost moniker for a Axanthic Hypo (just like every other snake species out there).

And Desert Ghost is neither Desert nor Hypo... so unfortunate naming.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Re: Desert Ghost and Desert are NOT the same morph...

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Hijinx View Post
    I am working on it!

I agree about the Ghost part, which is why I believe that Hypo should be used instead of Ghost, reserving the Ghost moniker for a Axanthic Hypo (just like every other snake species out there).

And Desert Ghost is neither Desert nor Hypo... so unfortunate naming.
    hehe

I agree, makes us ball python keepers look a little silly imo.....so lemme get this straight, a ghost is just a hypo and a "true ghost" is just a ghost? o well

Thanks
    This thread needed a pic.

"Lucky is the man who never has to confront what he is truly capable of" Unknown

Thanks
    unfortunately some very good breeders have absolutely no skill when it comes to picking names for new morphs.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pythonfriend For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (12-19-2013)