Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,278

1 members and 3,277 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts

Re: Baby monocled cobra (suphan)

We still call albino a morph in ball pythons, and it (among other morphs) can occur naturally in the wild.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kodieh View Post
    We still call albino a morph in ball pythons, and it (among other morphs) can occur naturally in the wild.

Yes, a lot of morphs including albinos are naturally occurring but not abundant as they cannot survive in the wild due to camouflage issues. Suphans on the other hand are quite abundant in their white form in nature so they are usually called a color variety rather than a morph.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Najakeeper View Post
    Yes, a lot of morphs including albinos are naturally occurring but not abundant as they cannot survive in the wild due to camouflage issues. Suphans on the other hand are quite abundant in their white form in nature so they are usually called a color variety rather than a morph.
    Its the same thing, morph is not exclusive to captivity. Some would argue that they find "adult" morphs.

Thanks

Its the same thing, morph is not exclusive to captivity. Some would argue that they find "adult" morphs.

I agree but it is an abundance issue really. Yes, you may find one albino Ball Python in Africa among tens of thousands of specimens, that has managed to survive until adulthood but bone colored Suphans are a big part of the population in their native range.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Herpenthusiast3 View Post
    I don't know much about hots. I myself will never have the guts to keep them. Just out of curiosity, Is this little one a venomoid? I think I'm stating that correctly. What I'm asking is whether or not he/she still has it's venom glands.
    Most definitely not lol. If you can't handle the animal the way nature intended it to be, don't keep it

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Crotalids For This Useful Post:

Herpenthusiast3 (12-20-2013)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Not liking something is a personal choice but something being natural or not is a different matter. "It wasn't the way they're supposed to look." is a bold statement as everything used to look different at one point, right? Bone colored Suphan Cobras survive/thrive in the wild and that is enough for me to consider them a viable natural option.

I applaud your bravery with N.samarensis. They are my favorite cobra species but I really can not deal with the explosiveness. I also hate to wear goggles in my snake room. I was spat on by a N.pallida a few years ago so I know how "not wearing eye protection" feels like.
    That's true.

I also hate wearing goggles, i have to wear them for my siamensis! I've worked a lot with Bothrops asper, moojeni and atrox - so I am used to snakes being crazy

I agree but it is an abundance issue really. Yes, you may find one albino Ball Python in Africa among tens of thousands of specimens, that has managed to survive until adulthood but bone colored Suphans are a big part of the population in their native range.
    I think they're all morphs if i am honest, as it's a genetic defect that caused the animal to become that colour. I don't know, I'm not expert on how people differentiate between a locality phase and a morph. Maybe it depends on whether you know the genetics of the animal?

I will copy this from another forum:

The difference is subtle.

Color phases are generally reasonably common in the wild. They may be linked to a particular locality, but this is not a hard and fast requirement. And usually the genetics is unknown. For example, the Okeetee phase of the corn snake was originally linked to the Okeetee Hunt Club and the surrounding area in southeastern South Carolina in the USA, though other populations of unusually red corn snakes have been found elsewhere. It was popularized around 60 years ago. The genetics is unknown at this time, as far as I know. There has been enough crossbreeding with more normal looking corns that the coloration seems unlikely to be caused by a mutant gene at a single gene locus.

Morphs are usually rare in the wild. A captive population may originate with only a single individual. The genetics may be worked out within a few years of discovery. A morph is usually the result of a mutant gene at one gene locus. A designer morph is generally produced by the interaction of mutant genes at several gene loci. Morphs include the pied ball python, albino boa constrictor, and many others.

The striped phase California king snake is most commonly found in southern California. It has been known for something like 150 years, and the genetics was unknown until captive breeding experiments were carried out around 1980. Those results indicated that the striped phase was the result of a dominant mutant gene at a single gene locus. Striped could be classed as either a phase or a morph.

A yellow phase green tree python is yellow as a baby and turns green with age. A red phase green tree python is reddish as a baby and turns green with age. The color change to green has nothing to do with what color phase the snake is. I have seen both phases hatch from a single clutch of eggs, so IMO, the phases are the result of different genes at a single gene locus. But as far as I know, the genetics has not been worked out yet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crotalids View Post
    Most definitely not lol. If you can't handle the animal the way nature intended it to be, don't keep it
    That's awesome. Respect.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Herpenthusiast3 View Post
    That's awesome. Respect.
    Thanks

Thanks

They are incredibly beatiful, sadly in Italy we can't breed venomous beacuse they are illegal, but knowing how Italians are maybe this could be a fortune

Inviato dal mio GT-I9505 utilizzando Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123