Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,051

1 members and 3,050 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks
    Okay, I just got back from a five day vacation. I need to still get ahold of the guy I had bp sitting, but I ran the temps on my guage over the last 24 hour cycle and it showed low at 76 degrees! Holy crap, that was low. I don't know how the hell that happened.

His temp is fine right now at 86 and rising ( I cut the AC completely and warming it up in there).

He has watched the snake before when I went away for 4 days, and did a great job. Only thing I can think of is my room mate who is oblivious (turns on AC with windows opened many times).

HERE's my question, what should I look for if jubs was exposed to cold weather for too long? I'll give you updates as to his health ( I took him out right away when I got home and went to a warm area for a little while).

Thanks
    Listen for crackles in his breathing or popping noises and watch for bubbles around his mouth and nostrils. Make sure you give him at least a full day to warm up before trying to feed. If there are no signs of respiratory infection, he should be fine. It's not as if they're never exposed to mid-70's temps in west central Africa, they're just not ideal temps.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    76 degrees is nothing to be worried about for a few days I cool mine for breeding into the high 60's and low 70's

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    cool. i i am glad i saw thris. i was fraking about roswells temps. i asked my roomate to measure the tanks screen top. i was going to add plexiglass to hold heat and moisture. he didnt put the towel back on and it dropped to 74, and i freaked.
    "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and you have burned so very brightly."

1.0 Ball Python "Roswell"
    1.0 Ball Python "Roo"

Thanks
    Yeah, I figured that he could handle some time with lower temps than normal. I'm really warming it up for him tomorrow, and I'm getting my UTH thing setup tomorrow, cause it is starting to get much cooler at night already, probably a fluke though.

Thanks
    I didn't think that 76 was too bad. My cool side can drop that low at night and probly does every night. My warm side has a basking spot of 91 and and the floor in probly 80 and under the log hide it is probly 90. That is with both of my bp tanks. Am I wrong or is 76 an ok temp for the cool side???

Thanks
    A temperature gradient of 75-80 on the cool side and 88-93 on the warm side is ideal. Sounds like everyone who's posted so far in this thread is fine as is.
    -Brad

Thanks
    when i first got my snake it dropped to 60 one night,i was so scared and i didnt have any thing else to put in his cage to make it warmer in there exept for the UTH i was already using so i had to close the air conditioner duct and put a heater in my room to make THE WHOLE ROOM warmer. it worked but it was kinda hard.
    0.1 Albino Redtail Boa
    0.1 Colombian Redtail Boa
    0.2 Salmon Pastel Redtail Boa's
    0.1 normal Ball Python
    0.1 Ball Python.
    0.1 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Amelanistic Corn Snake
    1.0 Sonoran Gopher
    1.0 Mexican black Kingsnake
    0.1 Luecistic Texas rat snake

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries
    dang, i'd be cold too if the temp was only 60 degrees in the house! but yeah i use a portable heater in the room with my lizards in the winter too just to make sure they are good and warm without overheating the whole house.
    - Emily

Thanks
    The ambient temp of the room your herps are in usually has a good deal to do with the temps inside their enclosures. No matter how warm you put the heating pads if the air circulating around and through the enclosure is still going to try to level itself out with the air in the room. I know i had a heck of a time when i first got a bp keeping the temps up in the room. It was Feb, and the apt i was in didnt have any heat ( long story ). I had to get a space heater and place the heater and the tank in the closet just to keep the temps up so the little guy would be ok. At the time i was using two heating pads and a 150watt CHE to try to keep the temps up and it was not working. I know that may be an extreme example, but something to think about. I try to keep the temps in my herp room now at a constant 75-77 degrees, at the lowest end of the cool side temps. That way i really dont have to use but one heating pad on low.
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.