Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,371

3 members and 3,368 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Possibly purchasing a young Ball Python this weekend. Need some advice.

First off I would like to say hello to you all here at BP.net. I also apologize if I placed this thread in the wrong forum. So I would like to know some things to look for when purchasing a ball python and set up from someone. I have a friend of mine and he is looking to get rid of his snake. I've wanted one for ages so I thought now was the best chance. He is offering a 75 gallon tank, UTH, bedding, hides, and a thermometer. I am not sure exactly how old the male ball python is. He purchased it a few months ago I believe from the local pet smart. It has been fed live mice, I'd have to ask him again what kind they were again. I talked to some of his closer friends and they claim he has taken well care of it and I trust them. He does not have heat in his house so I'm assuming it is a under temperature on the cool side. I do plan on taking every measure possible to give him the proper climate in the enclosure. I am guessing a thermostat would be a good purchase from the store if I get him. I have been doing my research about their processes of showing illness and what not. So I was mainly wondering what particular things should I keep an eye out for when looking at the snake and his enclosure? I should be getting pictures here shortly and could possibly upload them for some assistance. I'm somewhat new to the reptile world so if I left out anything important or said something wrong I apologize. Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Re: Possibly purchasing a young Ball Python this weekend. Need some advice.

A thermostat is a necessary purchase with this setup or that UTH will get hot enough to burn the snake. The current owner is lucky that it hasn't happened yet.

The tank size is overly large for the snake currently so if you only get two hides with it I would add more. Also, search for the tons of threads on this site of how to maintain correct temperatures and humidity in a glass tank so the little guy stays healthy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

McNeish (12-17-2013)

Thanks

Turns out the snake is around a year old. But I did figure that tank is overly large so I'm planning on getting as many hides as he needs. The current owner said since he's cold he's not growing that much in diameter. Could something like that be a major worry or just climate related? Anyways thank you for the helpful advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McNeish View Post
    Turns out the snake is around a year old. But I did figure that tank is overly large so I'm planning on getting as many hides as he needs. The current owner said since he's cold he's not growing that much in diameter. Could something like that be a major worry or just climate related? Anyways thank you for the helpful advice.
    If he's not growing much, he's underfed. Proper temps, proper humidity, consistent feedings, and he'll start growing again.

If he's been kept in cold conditions, make sure he doesn't have a respiratory infection. Listen for wheezing, clicking, popping noises while he breathes, and check for mucus/saliva around the mouth.

If he's relatively healthy just underfed and kept too cold, once you restore proper conditions he'll most likely recover fairly quickly.
    Last edited by 200xth; 12-17-2013 at 02:19 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 200xth For This Useful Post:

Crazymonkee (12-18-2013),McNeish (12-17-2013)

Thanks

Well that's good to know. I'll definitely look quite hard with the respiratory infection. I'm getting the pictures today according to the current owner. I'll upload them when I get them and let you guys look and see if there's anything abnormal about the snake or his enclosure.

Thanks
    Not sure how much money you're investing to begin with, but I have another idea. Depending on what you plan to use as hides, you may be better off buying a smaller enclosure to begin with and move up to the larger size. I don't know what your money situation/storage space is like, but it may be a decent idea. I personally like to get the cool looking caves/trees in order to provide a good looking setup, and some of those can be expensive, whereas a 20 gallon tank would likely be more affordable and work with your current options. Good luck with your purchase!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chadphillips8352 View Post
    Not sure how much money you're investing to begin with, but I have another idea. Depending on what you plan to use as hides, you may be better off buying a smaller enclosure to begin with and move up to the larger size. I don't know what your money situation/storage space is like, but it may be a decent idea. I personally like to get the cool looking caves/trees in order to provide a good looking setup, and some of those can be expensive, whereas a 20 gallon tank would likely be more affordable and work with your current options. Good luck with your purchase!
    Thank you! I just started working so my hours aren't that high yet. If all else fails with the tank being too large even with adding a few more hides. I was thinking to try a tub setup. He wants $50 for everything. So if everything checks out. It's a great deal. I have plenty of space for his current enclosure. Depending on how much my paycheck is this week is how much I'll spend on him. The current owner said he is around 2 and a half feet long. He also today said the snake is eating well, 2 size appropriate mice a week right now. He said he uses some kind of mulch for bedding.

Thanks

Definitely do a lot of browsing on this forum. There are some really great threads on husbandry where you will find useful information on pretty much everything related to setting up a proper enclosure - listen to the opinions of others and decide what works best for you. For example, you mention bedding - some folks will use a cypress mulch, others will go with newspaper or paper towel...it's often a matter of preference. As others have said, proper temps and humidity are KEY. I "rescued" a very malnourished BP about a year ago - she was extremely thin (85 grams at 4 months old), way under fed, kept it cold and dry conditions, had old shed all over her etc. Now she's a 850+g, eats like a champ, absolutely beautiful. Snake keeping is a great and rewarding hobby but BE FOREWARNED - it is ADDICTIVE!! You'll have 3-5 snakes in a year, trust me Good luck - happy to see you on hear. Read lots and ask questions. Welcome
    Last edited by DMills; 12-17-2013 at 11:18 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DMills For This Useful Post:

McNeish (12-17-2013),Phantomtip (12-18-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DMills View Post
    Definitely do a lot of browsing on this forum. There are some really great threads on husbandry where you will find useful information on pretty much everything related to setting up a proper enclosure - listen to the opinions of others and decide what works best for you. For example, you mention bedding - some folks will use a cypress mulch, others will go with newspaper or paper towel...it's often a matter of preference. As others have said, proper temps and humidity are KEY. I "rescued" a very malnourished BP about a year ago - she was extremely thin (85 grams at 4 months old), way under fed, kept it cold and dry conditions, had old shed all over her etc. Now she's a 850+g, eats like a champ, absolutely beautiful. Snake keeping is a great and rewarding hobby but BE FOREWARNED - it is ADDICTIVE!! You'll have 3-5 snakes in a year, trust me Good luck - happy to see you on hear. Read lots and ask questions. Welcome
    Ha! 3-5 in a year. I'm up to seven in three months. Loving this hobby! LOL

Thanks
    Just to add to the great advice already given, start feeding rats instead of mice. Also, invest in a digital scale you can get a cheap one from any big box store (around $10).
    This will help with feeding and other things. It's a good idea to keep track of patterns as well, such as a log-type journal. I always mark down when my snakes eat, shed, or act "weird". Just an idea!
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NH93 For This Useful Post:

chadphillips8352 (12-18-2013),McNeish (12-17-2013)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast