Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,365

2 members and 3,363 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

ball is not using hides!

My temps and humidity are great. Last weekend I cleaned her cage and ever since she just finds random spots around the cage to lay around and she wonders around all night. I fed her today and it took her awhile to eat. Could this just be cold weather or what is going on here? I kept the same hides in as before and are just right for her size and never refused them till now..Thanks!

Thanks
    What are your temps, what are you using to measure them, and where are you measuring them? Pics would help. Also sometimes after cleaning a cage, it's like you've put them into a brand new cage and they have to get used to it again.
    Black Pewter het Hypo Vestris; Black Pastel Enchi Zamira; Black Pastel Cheryn; Hypo Enchi Sofia; Lesser Pastel Eren; Super Mojave ???; Piebald Mako; Fire Vin; Pastel Estelle; Spider Hanji, Ezri; Normal Angelina, John, Aradia; Mojave Joe; Anerythreustic Kenyan Sand Boa ???; German Shepherd Dog Atticus; Rats Snowman, Colette, Calliope, Eliza, ???, ???

Thanks
    cold side is 75 hot side is 85 with hotspot of 90, using infared to measure along with accutrite on each side. Ive had her for a year now and never have seen her do this. what would you like pics of?

Thanks
    Pics of the general enclosure. I would say, if your temp readings are accurate, that she's just settling back into her newly cleaned cage. Give her time. If she continues to eat and isn't roaming during the day, then I'd say she's fine.
    Black Pewter het Hypo Vestris; Black Pastel Enchi Zamira; Black Pastel Cheryn; Hypo Enchi Sofia; Lesser Pastel Eren; Super Mojave ???; Piebald Mako; Fire Vin; Pastel Estelle; Spider Hanji, Ezri; Normal Angelina, John, Aradia; Mojave Joe; Anerythreustic Kenyan Sand Boa ???; German Shepherd Dog Atticus; Rats Snowman, Colette, Calliope, Eliza, ???, ???

Thanks
    Also some just aren't that into hides. If there are any other changes in behavior, then it may be cause for concern, but sometimes I think they like to do things just to confuse the humans.
    -Devon

0.1 Axanthic Bee (Pixel)
    0.2 Axanthic Pastel (Cornelia, Short Round)
    0.1 Axanthic (Bubbles)
    0.1 Bee het Axanthic (Nipper)
    0.1 Lesser (Lydia)
    0.1 het Lavender (Poppy)
    0.1 het Hypo (Cookie)
    1.0 Killerbee het Axanthic (Yellow Dude)
    1.0 Pied (Starry Starry Dude)
    1.0 Butter Hypo (Spooky Dude)
    1.0 PH Lavender (Little Dude)

Thanks
    Just a thought, did you rinse out the hides reaaallly well after cleaning them? It could be possible that some left over soap (bleach/vinegar/whatever you use to clean with) dried to the hides and doesn't smell very nice to her

Sometimes after I move things around my vives the snakes check everything out for awhile, and don't settle in one hide. Even Beau, my ball python was just sitting out on a log earlier today after I took him out and added in a large water bowl and moved some hides on him - at like 2 pm, even with the bright light coming into the room he's in. He finally chose a hide after a couple of hours.

I wouldn't worry though if everything else is the same as it's always been. It could be that she has gotten too large for the hides and just now decided she didn't like them... you never know! Even if she can fit, she may not want to. Try adding a bit of a larger one (even like a cardboard box temporarily) just to see if she goes in it.
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

Thanks
    I've found that sometimes after cleaning out my BP's enclosure, he'll hang out by the plants instead of hiding.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ViperSRT3g For This Useful Post:

martin07 (12-20-2013)

Banned
    Thanks
    Everyone always says there temps are right.they will seem right possibly if your not checking them right,if your thermometers and hygrometers aren't set right in the proper spots. Not as simple s just putting them in the tank and all is fine...I'm going to say there not,your temps that is...your snake shouldn't be constantly roaming,IMO, means he can't find some where safe and comfortable. My guys are forever hiding. Come out at night to explore for a few hours on avg 2-4 hrs on and off through out night then back in there hides.

i did a little changing of my set up about a week ago,a day later one of my guys was out almost 24 /7 roaming,I didn't think anything,thought he was just being nosey,about two days pass,I open the tank check the hides and well it's clean.but I did notice it was hot as balls In there..went back to regular normal set up I've had for months and well he's back in his hide 90% of the day. Point is,your temps or humidity isn't right.

evertime I clean my tanks,I re set them up exactly the same way,they never are to pick hide as it's always the warm side..never once have they had to choose. I keep my tanks warm,not hot so my snake doesn't nagged to keep switching sides.i keep my warm side around 82-84 degrees and a hot spot of around 92, my guys are very happy
    Last edited by NYHC4LIFE8899; 12-16-2013 at 09:41 PM.

Thanks

Re: ball is not using hides!

Quote Originally Posted by NH93 View Post
    Just a thought, did you rinse out the hides reaaallly well after cleaning them? It could be possible that some left over soap (bleach/vinegar/whatever you use to clean with) dried to the hides and doesn't smell very nice to her

Sometimes after I move things around my vives the snakes check everything out for awhile, and don't settle in one hide. Even Beau, my ball python was just sitting out on a log earlier today after I took him out and added in a large water bowl and moved some hides on him - at like 2 pm, even with the bright light coming into the room he's in. He finally chose a hide after a couple of hours.

I wouldn't worry though if everything else is the same as it's always been. It could be that she has gotten too large for the hides and just now decided she didn't like them... you never know! Even if she can fit, she may not want to. Try adding a bit of a larger one (even like a cardboard box temporarily) just to see if she goes in it.
    My biggest girl used to go into hides that were to small and they'd litterally be resting on top of her lol she had a massive growth spurt
    0.2 normal, 1.0 Butter, 1.1 Fire, 1.0 Pastel, 0.1 Spider, .1 Pastel Het Clown

Thanks

Re: ball is not using hides!

Quote Originally Posted by kylearmbar View Post
    My biggest girl used to go into hides that were to small and they'd litterally be resting on top of her lol she had a massive growth spurt
    I love it when they do that, they grow slowly enough that sometimes you don't notice, but having to buy new hides always manages to drive it home. I'm so proud of my big girl, she is now too wide to fit through the opening of the largest RB hide that can fit in her tub.
    -Devon

0.1 Axanthic Bee (Pixel)
    0.2 Axanthic Pastel (Cornelia, Short Round)
    0.1 Axanthic (Bubbles)
    0.1 Bee het Axanthic (Nipper)
    0.1 Lesser (Lydia)
    0.1 het Lavender (Poppy)
    0.1 het Hypo (Cookie)
    1.0 Killerbee het Axanthic (Yellow Dude)
    1.0 Pied (Starry Starry Dude)
    1.0 Butter Hypo (Spooky Dude)
    1.0 PH Lavender (Little Dude)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast